Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2006, 10:33 AM

Default Multi-tabling / Notetaking

Alright, I've read SSHE and Theory of Poker and am dedicated to studying and learning so I want to start posting more and playing more.

Two basic questions before I move to the SSSH forum - Players here advocate playing only one table at first, but how do I know when to add a table? . . . also how many tables are the successful players playing? I know this depends on the player, but are there many successful players playing 5 - 6 or more tables in SSSH (my game) . . .

which leads me to my next question . . .

I know SSSH is a read heavy game and players need to take notes on post-flop play. I read Bison's sticky, but how do players get notes playing SSSH while multi-tabling? Do they just rely on the ways the others respond to their own post-flop play?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Multi-tabling / Notetaking

When to add a table is when you're comfortable playing one table while spending 1/2 your time reading email, surfing the web, or whatever.

The more tables you play, the more you need some kind of a HUD to help you track players. You aren't gonna be able to remember who's a rock and who's a fish when you add more and more tables. A HUD show everyone's VP$IP, PFR, aggr. factor, WtSD, etc right there next to the players. Playing a lot of tables without one is hard, because EVERYONE is an unknown..

Many players multitable to clear bonuses faster.. I think anyone could play 4 tables of 10 handed holdem at once, I 4-table while I'm cleaning my basement.. Many play 8, a few play 12.. There's a video floating around of someone 20-tabling, but that's rare, IDK if he could keep that up for any length of time.. Your win rate goes down, but the speed you clear your bonus makes it well worth it.

It's a LOT easier if you get a dual-monitor setup on your PC, so you can see all the tables at once. If you can't, at least make sure your buttons DO NOT overlap, cuz a different table will pop in there when you're trying to fold some garbage, and you'll fold aces on the popped table.. And btw, it ALWAYS seems to be aces..

If you aren't clearing a bonus, then it's better to play less tables at a higher limit IMO. You can successfully play much higher limits when you can give 100% of your attention to ONE table and watch everyone's actions. You'll get better faster.. Multitabling a lot of tables is a lot more mechanical ABC poker.

Edit:
Woops I forgot to address one piece of your OP: About note taking, that's a huge waste of time IMO.. I spent a few months religiously taking notes on everyone I found noteworthy. I never encounter any of them again, the ocean is too big. Buddy lists on the other hand....
Old 07-24-2006, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Multi-tabling / Notetaking

Yeah, if I notice a pretty out of the ordinary Loose or aggressive player that I notice to be pretty bad. I usually add them to buddy list so that I can track their play in the future.
Remember , your profite comes from the mistakes of your opponents. So if you find an opponent making lots of them, chances are he'll keep making you a profit again and again!