Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 02:12 PM

Default Deepish stacks: straight turns into tiny cottage on river

Comments on anything welcome, most curious about bet sizes, checking behind on the river and what should be done differently (if anything) if he only has 50$ in his stack to start with.

Paradise Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) EnderIII is CO with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $2.25</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, EnderIII calls, 3 folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($9.75, 5 players)
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#cc0000">EnderIII bets $5</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($19.75, 3 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">EnderIII bets $12</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($43.75, 3 players)
UTG+1 checks, EnderIII checks.

Results:
Final pot: $43.75
Old 07-23-2006, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Deepish stacks: straight turns into tiny cottage on river

You have a boat on the river, and he hasn't played his hand like he has 77xx or KKxx, so I don't know why you'd check. I'd tend to value bet here, maybe 1/2 pot or so.

Rob
Old 07-23-2006, 04:29 PM

I would also value bet the river, probably folding to a big raise. I would be more inclined to check behind if he had played this hand strong on any street, ie he bet flop and you called and then took control on the turn or something. I'd also bet more on the turn, at least $15-16
Old 07-24-2006, 04:48 AM

value bet seems good. just bet a little so u get paid by worse hands and can fold to better ones
Old 07-24-2006, 02:32 PM

Ok, looks like a missed value bet is the consensus, at the time it just seemed like no worse hands were calling and I was opening myself up to 60ish dollar bluff, that i would probably have to fold to.

I had some trouble putting him on a hand, since there were no flush draws or straight draws other than mine, he probably hit two pair or a set on the flop (but probably not top set or he would raise??) so 77 did seem like a possibility or K7 or K4 or just nothing and he was hoping to bluff me on the turn (but when he didn't raise i figured he had still had something or picked up a draw).

So i guess, bottom full is a stronger hand than i thought? I just don't see getting value from anything other than the same straight i had, and why wouldn't that raise? I'm just not convinced, although it seems like I should be since all 3 responses have agreed. Anything wrong with my reasoning, or will i just see 56 often enough to make it worth it?
Old 07-24-2006, 03:04 PM

Let's remember that UTG+1 raised here. And let us also remember that many preflop raiser here, unless you know something I don't, can't let go of AA, at least until the river, and even not then. It's important to know this - because you can get free cards this way against initial raisers and you can know when not to semibluff a turn.

Now, with AA so PREVALENTLY in his range given how he betted preflop and how he is slow playing, just hoping that his aces hold up...just hoping that not another goddamn preflop caller hit something against him...do you really just want to check that river? Also, does it really seem like UTG+1 is capable of reraising you over the top with junk at this type of game? If you don't know the answer to that question, then can you make an educated GUESS at the answer to it? What are the chances of him going over the top? Here, in this situation, putting in half the pot is profitable against AA and K7; also, against 56 (which, it doesn't look like he has).

A'