Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Choose...
80% probability, 20% psychology 31 50.82%
100% probability 3 4.92%
50% probability, 50% psychology 16 26.23%
20% probability, 80% psychology 11 18.03%
100% psychology 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Best tournament player of all time

[ QUOTE ]

OK, I do not know who this cunninham guy is, but i'm pretty sure you are confused about Ivey. He plays in the big cash games (mainly Stud) and is not a tournament player. I am not sure about Seidel, but I know for sure he lost to Johnny Chan when Johnny Chan trapped him with the nuts in the WSOP and I would be surprised if he really has 8 or 9 titles (maybe you mean final table appearances, which is a different thing), 1 or 2 would be more believable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a sec...you're running a poll of the best tournament players ever, and you don't know who Allan Cunningham is (2 bracelets and consistent success the past several years), you don't think Phil Ivey is a tournament player (maybe the best of all time, especially considering he only plays $10K and higher buy-in events these days), and you don't believe that Erik Seidel has had much WSOP success (seven bracelets in five different events).

No offense, but I'm not sure you're qualified to put together the list of all-time best tournament players. You also left Stu Ungar off the list, as well as Dan Harrington.

-Aces
Old 07-23-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
imso,

I am not sure what your point is, maybe these guys have had some limited success in tourneys, that's fine but in this poll I am limiting the candidates to the real all-time tourney greats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess Madsen qualifies then. He is on the all-time money list (rank: 307th).

Methinks the Masked Man has ulterior motives in this troll, oops, I meant poll.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:29 PM

sarcasm meter finally working
Old 07-23-2006, 06:31 PM

Aces: I added Stu Ungar in a followup poll. I already explained why Harrington isnt on the list, even though he is a great tournament book author.

Red: I'm sure there are many guys who have won a couple bracelets and stuff, but as I've said before, I'm not listing all the good tourney players, just the all-time greats.

Jack: Not sure how accurate your Seidel info is, but I dont think anyone would ever pick him over Johnny Chan ever no matter what, so he definitely doesnt belong on the list.

[ QUOTE ]
sarcasm meter finally working

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, someone woke up.

This thread is a joke, right? 22k+ posts and this thread is the best you can do?

"...but who cares about that, I've never even heard of it so no way is it a prestigious tournament..."

So any tourney you haven't heard of is basically a home game?

"...which is focused on the cream of the cream, the true all-time great legends of tournament play..."

So all-time greats include Madsen, a one-time player?

"Sorry, realized I left off one more important candidate."

So then you add in the Grinder, failing to mention the countless other tourney player who have been at it longer - and have written successful books on the subject?

"Phil's World Poker Tour credits in season one include a third place finish at the Foxwoods event, second at Tunica, and third at the World Poker Tour Final. In season three, he finished 6th at Borgata, 3rd at Reno Hilton, and third again at the World Poker Tour Championship. He has five World Series of Poker bracelets. In 2000, he won the Pot Limit event, in 2002 he won the S.H.O.E, 7-Card Stud Hi-Lo Split, and the $1500 7 Card stud event and in 2005 he won the Pot Limit Omaha event. Two other notable finishes are his first place finishes at the 2004 Championship at Turning Stone and 2005 Monte Carlo Millions."

From a site called poker-babes.com. Yeah, I googled, not something I frequent daily. But I get your point Diablo, there are and have been better tourney players. I just wanted to put some facts behind my [censored].
Old 07-23-2006, 06:32 PM

All,

Looks like it's clear 1-2 battle between Hellmuth and Madsen. I would hope some of you recognize that most of Hellmuth's wins came at a time when very few people played in the tournaments, so you should definitely discount much of his early performance and focus on his recent lack of success. When you look at it in an unbiased manner like that, I think it's clear that Madsen's accomplishments are far more impressive.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

OK, I do not know who this cunninham guy is, but i'm pretty sure you are confused about Ivey. He plays in the big cash games (mainly Stud) and is not a tournament player. I am not sure about Seidel, but I know for sure he lost to Johnny Chan when Johnny Chan trapped him with the nuts in the WSOP and I would be surprised if he really has 8 or 9 titles (maybe you mean final table appearances, which is a different thing), 1 or 2 would be more believable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a sec...you're running a poll of the best tournament players ever, and you don't know who Allan Cunningham is (2 bracelets and consistent success the past several years), you don't think Phil Ivey is a tournament player (maybe the best of all time, especially considering he only plays $10K and higher buy-in events these days), and you don't believe that Erik Seidel has had much WSOP success (seven bracelets in five different events).

No offense, but I'm not sure you're qualified to put together the list of all-time best tournament players. You also left Stu Ungar off the list, as well as Dan Harrington.

-Aces

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is where the misunderstandinhg comes from. Some of the people Diablo omitted might have had success in non-hold'em events, but that wouldn't matter in discussion of greatest tournament player of all time since success in non-hold'em events is really more a matter of luck than skill so shouldn't factor into the equation. That's why the list is only all the people who have had a lot of HOLD'EM success.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
T,

Raymer has what, one WSOP bracelet? Madsen has 2 and a 3rd place finish in his first month of tourney play. Ivey I am not sure if that guy plays tournaments, I think he is mainly a cash games player. Cunningham? Not sure who he is. Seidel I think just got second place, losing to the great Johnny Chan. Harrington I know writes some great books, but I am focused on guys who play a lot of tournaments and are WSOP bracelet winners in this poll (and guys like John Gale who are both WSOP and WPT champions).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even understand how you can say that Madsen, who granted has done well in the few tournaments he has played, is a better tournament player than Allen Cunningham, Dan Harrington, or Phil Ivey. All of whom have a long track record of success in tournaments.