Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:36 PM

Default Starting Monday 1/23/06 NEW Posting Picks Rules: Please Read !!

Starting this Monday 1/23/06 there will be a few new rules when posting picks.

Instead of having a picks thread for your picks for everyday of the week, please post all picks for the week (Monday-Sunday) in the same thread. Though, if you are posting picks on seperate sports, please create a different thread for each sport per week.

Below are some of the rules for the picks thread:

1) Please include your YTD record updated on a daily basis. Do not include parlays, teasers, etc... in this record. Keep them in a seperate record.

2) Please include your YTD units won/lost as well updated daily. Once again, do not include parlays, teasers, etc... in this units W/L record. We would appreciate it if you kept a weighted and unweighted record, but we will not require that until the beginning of the baseball season.

3) Others may comment in your thread; in fact, we highly encourage this.

Please make sure that you follow the above rules.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Starting Monday 1/23/06 NEW Posting Picks Rules: Please Read !!

This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

We (at least I am) are here to discuss sports betting in hopefully a mature fashion. I don't make "picks" threads but I will often break down a game or two and I like to get involved in others games discussions and give my two cents if I have an opinion.

When I do break down a game it won't include records because I don't list every bet I make but I do like to discuss games and ideas.

Pick listing is ridiculous anyway. There are any number of places on the web to list picks and see listed picks. I'd like to see 2+2 rise above the chest pounding smack talkers and actually intelligently discuss sports wagering.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We (at least I am) are here to discuss sports betting in hopefully a mature fashion. I don't make "picks" threads but I will often break down a game or two and I like to get involved in others games discussions and give my two cents if I have an opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in the above rules that I posted did it say that you couldn't discuss individual games? You can still "break down" games. This is for the people that are already making picks (or are going to beging to). As was also mentioned, you can post in people's threads as well. I never said one couldn't.

\ [ QUOTE ]

Pick listing is ridiculous anyway. There are any number of places on the web to list picks and see listed picks. I'd like to see 2+2 rise above the chest pounding smack talkers and actually intelligently discuss sports wagering.

[/ QUOTE ]

The purpose of this is so picks can be intelligently discussed. But, records, stats, etc... are important. I know you have mentioned in the past that you don't agree with that as much as others, but some think that it is important.

craig
Old 01-19-2006, 10:52 PM

Also, not everybody thinks pick listing is stupid (which is obvious from the amount of pick threads). That is also your opinion.

craig
Old 01-20-2006, 12:00 AM

I'm relatively new to sports betting (so that's my excuse if this question is insanely stupid)

What is a weighted / unweighted units win/loss record? Does this have something to do with making your unit size bigger according to a growing bankroll?
Old 01-20-2006, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm relatively new to sports betting (so that's my excuse if this question is insanely stupid)

What is a weighted / unweighted units win/loss record? Does this have something to do with making your unit size bigger according to a growing bankroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't insanely stupide. Basically an "unweighted" record is where one would always wager one unit (or to win one unit). "Weighted" would be where they might bet more than one unit on a game.

The reason we wanted it seperate, is because somebody might be down 50 units and then make a post where they bet 50 units on one game. Thus, they would look like a winner, but it would obviously be deceptive.

craig
Old 01-20-2006, 01:02 AM

Just so everyone knows ... since I have been moderator of this forum, I have gotten tons of requests for some type of common picks format. I was never willing or able to invest the time necessary to monitor every single thread, so I never pushed hard for a common format.

Craig is willing to do it so more power to him. I will say that in my experience, forums with such a format are infinitely more valuable than those without. However, it will undoubtedly alienate some people, and I hope that you will all be supportive of Craig's efforts when complaints arise (and they certainly will).
Old 01-20-2006, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't insanely stupide. Basically an "unweighted" record is where one would always wager one unit (or to win one unit). "Weighted" would be where they might bet more than one unit on a game.

The reason we wanted it seperate, is because somebody might be down 50 units and then make a post where they bet 50 units on one game. Thus, they would look like a winner, but it would obviously be deceptive.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]
So in other words, "wnweighted" has nothing to do with units per se, it's just a pure win-loss record, except it factors in the juice?

Whereas "weighted" acknowledges how many units you've bet on each game, if you vary your bet sizes?

And these guidelines only apply to threads specifically about keeping track of pick records, and they in no way restrict anyone who just wants to start a thread to discuss any one specific game?
Old 01-20-2006, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So in other words, "wnweighted" has nothing to do with units per se, it's just a pure win-loss record, except it factors in the juice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right it factors in the juice. But, in games with Money Lines, like baseball, units won/lost is more important than the actual record.

[ QUOTE ]
And these guidelines only apply to threads specifically about keeping track of pick records, and they in no way restrict anyone who just wants to start a thread to discuss any one specific game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. We don't want less discussion. I did want to edit to say that if everyday you (not you personally, the general "you") are starting a thread with, "I like X game today, and Y game today", well that is in effect just like having a "picks thread", but calling it something different. It will take some subjectivity at first, but I feel that we are all grown up enough here to know the difference.

craig
Old 01-20-2006, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"you") are starting a thread with, "I like X game today, and Y game today", well that is in effect just like having a "picks thread", but calling it something different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may do that once or twice a week. Maybe even 3 times. Does that mean I'm listing picks even though it isn't daily? Also on more than a few occasions last baseball season someone would specifically ask who I liked on a certain day. Often I would respond by telling them (with reasoning). Is this listing picks?

I just think this is going to be an unenforcable nightmare that will cause problems. Lets just discuss wagering and the reasons why certain wagers are good (or bad!).

Imagine if we needed to first submit our pokertracker databases before we discussed poker strategy. This all just seems ludicrous to me.
Closed Thread