Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 12:21 AM

Default NL Day 4

These two from today are very typical of the hands I think I am messing up.

Hand 1: Just the second orbit. Villain hasn't done anything noticeable yet.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $71.35
UTG+1: $39.94
Hero: $140
Button: $219.31
SB: $204.61
BB: $25.77

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $5</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($16, 3 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $14</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $35</font>, UTG folds, Hero?

Hand 2: 1st orbit.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $216.41
Button: $133.27
Hero: $121.50
BB: $219.31

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, Button calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $4.5</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($13.5, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $9</font>, BB folds, Button calls.

Do I just give up here and c/f the turn? This is the kind of hand I think has been costing me because I feel like I need to make another bet since he could def have a draw here.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:50 AM

Default Re: NL Day 4

Hand 1: Villain has put you in a tough spot with a pretty nicely sized raise. i'm tempted to say call the check-raise and re-evaluate on the turn. if he has a draw here, then chances are it is some sort of draw that is even money with you on the flop (nut flush draw or some sort of combo draw). Against an unknown, i don't think i can fold KK to a checkraise on a drawy board. If the turn bricks, i would go ahead and stick the money in, depending on the brickiness of the card.

Hand 2: This is definitely the kind of hand that makes things sticky out of position. He could absolutely have a draw, but, if that's the case, then he's about to get the pot. When he calls on that board, there are pretty much no turn cards that you're going to be happy with outside of an offsuit trey or deuce. This is a perfect example of the power of "floating" in position.

Flops like this with hands like TT-QQ may be a good opportunity to balance the old % of the time you c-bet the flop. I've done things like this and you'd be surprised how many villains check behind you on the flop when they think you might be slowplaying.

Tough, interesting hands, though.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:39 AM

Yeah, checking the flop in hand 2 didn't really come across my mind and it doesn't sound like a very bad idea.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:25 AM

i usually still bet in hand 2 but im done when called (only time i wnt bet is if one of the callers is a real station)

hand 1, push.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:43 AM

How do you get into so many difficult situations?

H1 you're too deep to just shove without a read. I would call and evaluate the turn action.

H2 time to give up on this one.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
H1 you're too deep to just shove without a read. I would call and evaluate the turn action.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm... Could you elaborate some more on this?
Isn't it better to make up your mind if you believe you're behind or not and then react accordingly (fold/push)?
I mean, either we're way behind drawing to two outs, quite a bit ahead and villain's drawing to 5 outs, or we're up against some draw for a bit less than even money up to being almost 2-1 ahead.

We can't just assume it's a combo draw, can we?

What would you need on the turn to continue, and what for a fold?
Old 07-23-2006, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you get into so many difficult situations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Is this not normal? I seriously could have posted about 10 more hands like this in the last two days but don't want to clutter the forum.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought pushing would be pretty bad with so much behind. I thought the decision was between call and fold. Is folding giving up too much here? I just can't see many turn situations where villain will check or where I will be happy calling another bet. It seems like the reverse implied odds are going to suck.

[ QUOTE ]

H2 time to give up on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:14 AM

I agree with the above, but one thing about hand 2 is your bet looks like a probe bet, since if you had AK or something on a 2 tone semi co-ordinated flop, you would bet more than $9 into $13.5... I would probaby bet from $12 to $14...

So if you do bet it, bet more, in the hope of winning it right there, which will often not happen on this flop. But, there is nothing wrong w/ checking this flop w/ 2 people to come I think.

2 additional troublesome things about hand 2 are that

1) You can hit your set and complete villain's flush
2) You can hit your set and complete villain's OESD

More reasons to check the flop.