Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 11:58 PM

Default Makonnen\'s Muck Ups (Low Limit O8) #2

More misadventures. At least this one has different mistakes, I think.

Party Poker | Limit Omaha Ring game | Limit: $0.50/$1
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Makonnen is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 3 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Makonnen raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8.5SB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Makonnen raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Makonnen calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8.75BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Makonnen calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (11.75BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Makonnen folds.

I guess the question is if the flop bet is over-aggressive, or if I actually should have capped it there? I know that usually the middle ground in poker is a losing road, so probably I should either have capped it or not raised it ...

Anybody call the river, putting BB also on a foiled low?

-Makonnen
Old 07-22-2006, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Makonnen\'s Muck Ups (Low Limit O8) #2

I normally wouldn't raise preflop. Sometimes I would sometimes I wouldn't. Your hand is very strong one way.

Flop. I never raise there. Zee recommeds raising if you think you might be able to get another A2 to fold. That isn't gonna happen.

Turn and river are fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody call the river, putting BB also on a foiled low?

[/ QUOTE ] You can't beat many foiled lows. He has to have A5xy where x and y are less than 5.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:52 AM

Doug is right on all accounts. Sometimes raise preflop, if the ace was suited I would lean more toward raising becuase you have a shot at scooping. Same on the flop becuase you have no chance in scooping and a really good chance at being quartered. Also its never a good idea to look someone up in omaha with A high....more times than not they have a little piece of the board.

Keep up the posting, im starting to get serious with O/8 as well and at the same level as you so these hands are interesting.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:15 AM

Raise a suited ace there pf, not your hand. The best non-value reason is so you can check behind backdoor flops you shouldn't bluff at and see 4 cards, though there are others.

Flop is basic. BB betting here is usually a high hand that wants to jam and/or play multiway for at least 2 bets, for whatever reason. UTG usually has the A2 on a dry low board. Raising is awful - you aren't getting a free card even if BB just calls (he'll usually know to lead turn on bad boards for you, even at micro).

Calling the river is so bad. Raising is much better, and folding the best.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise a suited ace there pf, not your hand. The best non-value reason is so you can check behind backdoor flops you shouldn't bluff at and see 4 cards, though there are others.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's very, very helpful, thanks.
[ QUOTE ]
Flop is basic. BB betting here is usually a high hand that wants to jam and/or play multiway for at least 2 bets, for whatever reason. UTG usually has the A2 on a dry low board. Raising is awful - you aren't getting a free card even if BB just calls (he'll usually know to lead turn on bad boards for you, even at micro).

[/ QUOTE ]
What would your raise with there? I am assuming that if I had 4 to the nut low plus 4 to the nut flush, I raise. What about 4 to the low, plus an OESD?

I think that, lurking behind the question, is trying to figure out what the value of 4 to the nut low on the flop is: at that point, there are 44 unseen cards. 16 of them make our low, but 6 others counterfeit it. My back of the envelope calculations put me at, I dunno, 45% or so to make the low without being counterfeited. That would mean that I am almost always priced in to call bets on the flop/turn when drawing to the nut low.

[ QUOTE ]
Calling the river is so bad. Raising is much better, and folding the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I did something right! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

-Makonnen