Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 03:41 PM

Default Re: How long on replies from senators?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I emailed my US Rep the day after she voted yea on the bill. The crickets are still chirping.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, like a week ago? No surprise.

Most offices won't reply to an email with an email. Just won't happen. You usually get to wait for snail mail.

[/ QUOTE ]I emailed both my Senators on Sunday. Got an email non-response back on Monday from one. Reading between the lines it looks like he supports the bill. So far nothing from the other.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:45 PM

I mailed my senators months ago and never received a response.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I emailed my US Rep the day after she voted yea on the bill. The crickets are still chirping.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, like a week ago? No surprise.

Most offices won't reply to an email with an email. Just won't happen. You usually get to wait for snail mail.

[/ QUOTE ]I emailed both my Senators on Sunday. Got an email non-response back on Monday from one. Reading between the lines it looks like he supports the bill. So far nothing from the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice to get a response that quickly... but it sounds as though they have a nifty program that sorts emails by key words and sends an auto-response form letter. Still, I give them credit for sending an email in response to an email.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:20 PM

I wrote a handwritten letter to my congresswoman, Shelley Berkley, months before the House vote and never heard back. It turned out she was one of our best allies on the issue. I wrote handwritten letters to my Senators this past week, and I'm just hoping they actually read them.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:22 PM

if you get a nonresponse id email them back and challenge them on some of those issues. Force them to defend their stance b/c most of the time they have no clue what they are talkin about
Old 07-22-2006, 11:55 AM

My daughter is staff member for a US Senator. Email is handled by the interns. If you are not a resident of the state, your email is trashed. If you are a resident of the state, it might get a canned response, but will never be seen by the Senator. No record is kept of who is sending the email or what the issues are.

If you write a letter and you are not a resident of the state, it is trashed. If you are a resident, you may get an answer from a staff member, but it will be a canned response. Your letter will not be seen by the senator except in very rare occasions. Letters are scanned and archived.

If you telephone their office and you are not a resident, they will not take your call. If you are a resident, you will speak to an intern that will give you a canned response. No records are made of calls or the issues they represent.

Bottom line, written letters are the only communication where any records are kept. If you are not a resident of the state, then you are wasting your time.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:34 PM

I phoned my Congressman (John Oliver). Never heard back, but he did vote no. Interestingly, the person I talked to said it was the first call they received. She asked lots of questions and took about 5 minutes and seemed interested at least.

He's got my vote and a campaign contribution on the way.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:57 AM

I emailed my senator on July 5th and received a written response on July 21st. See my Menendez post in this forum.