Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 07:22 AM

Default Re: 5 Books Everybody Should Read

Zeno,

If your walk takes you to La Jolla, CA, then you should be able to locate John Cole's Bookstore. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I've never been there myself, but a friend went in especially so she could return with a bag from the store for me--which her mother, a grade school teacher, promptly laminated.

A week or so ago, I was driving home from WV when I saw a sign in PA advertising used tires for sale; it read: "Big Blowout Sale All Used Tires 5 Dollars." Was "Blowout" the right word to use here?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:59 PM

Midge,

I have never been to Australia. I am not sure if you are from there or not. You location says you live there. My impression of the place is that I would not be sounding so high and mighty if I was a native. (Not that there is anything wrong with being Australian. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) I could be wrong, but I would have to see proof I am wrong to believe it.

RJT

p.s. Anecdotally to illustrate my point, isn’t Phil123 from down under. Just kidding – that was low of me.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:54 PM

RJT,

The problem with pretention is the narrow-mindedness it breeds, I would say that anyone that loves art of any form suffers from a bit of pretention...we are all probably guilty of this. But the problem with MidGe's post is that he assumes that b/c you list a Coelho that you haven't read obscure fiction and that he thinks he can actually size you and society up based on a book. Assumption and judgement based on so little information is much worse a crime.

Certain books affect readers in all different ways. He also seems to believe that this is a "greatest of all-time" thread and it isn't, some books are the chefs d'oeuvre but this doesn't mean that everyone should read them.

~td
Old 07-21-2006, 04:15 PM

MidGe is being pretentious which is annoying, but the fact is that Austrialia is the world's most Urban nation. Don't forget they have brought us such great artists like Paul Hogan, Yahoo Serious, and Men at Work
Old 07-22-2006, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A week or so ago, I was driving home from WV when I saw a sign in PA advertising used tires for sale; it read: "Big Blowout Sale All Used Tires 5 Dollars." Was "Blowout" the right word to use here?

[/ QUOTE ]

John,

I abstain. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Zeno

PS: The quick answer is, no.

PSS: Perhaps in WV such signage raises no eyebrows. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

PSSS: Pretension is become too thick about here, back to Walden. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2006, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PSSS: Pretension is become too thick about here, back to Walden.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can get there in an hour or so. BTW, the sign was in PA.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, the sign was in PA.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Well, perhaps the answer still stands. Anyway, see what happens when you get old.

Walden sounds better everyday.

-Zeno
Old 07-22-2006, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PSSS: Pretension is become too thick about here, back to Walden.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... good one about Walden. For those interested it is available on-line and well worth reading here. I re-read it quickly following your post. I think my (somewhat mild) criticism to the USA culture was very well in harmony with Thoreau, in case that was missed.

I was also, at the time I first read Thoreau, really interested in B. F. Skinner and enjoyed his only work of fiction, "Walden two", as well as the results of his research and his views on psychology. Worth a read as well, as Skinner was really influential in the latter part of the last century. I, surely was somewhat influenced by him during the seventies

I would like to finish with this quote from Thoreau's Walden: "Let them wander and scrutinize the outlandish Australians.
I have more of God, they more of the road"

I hope cultural criticism, tempered by much modly coddling about great experiences in the culture, is allowed. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2006, 10:36 AM

Zeno, we are the same age. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Perhaps I'll post a trip report. I know at least that you'll read it.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldnt even begin to narrow down a top 5 books everybody should read. But I found this book to be incredibly moving. Im not quite sure what it was but I almost cried when I finished reading it. Once Im old like John Cole I might actually cry. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

VR