Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Fold QQ preflop to single raise?

Newbie poster. Intermediate skill level. Learning to play my instinct and increase hand reading skills.

QQ in sb, 3-6 limit. UTG player has been silently folding all session, rock-nit type. Raises preflop, folded to me in sb. My read on his range was AA-JJ, maybe TT and AK for this play. However, the table was pretty tough, with most pots getting raised preflop and with not many multiple player pots (bad table, I know). Possible that opponent was just card dead and had slightly increased his openning standards due to tight table conditions (or at least that was what I was telling myself), but unlikely from this position. Is a fold here reasonable? I was very tempted to fold a small pot against this player, even with QQ. But since I was short stacked after a couple draw outs, I ended up (after some deliberation) reraisng and getting capped. I was saved by a Q and took the pot against his KK.

In limit, are you giving up much by relying on a read to this extent and simply folding? Other strategies for this scenario? All comments welcome.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Fold QQ preflop to single raise?

3-bet almost always unless every time he goes to showdown and shows AA and KK.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:58 PM

If you have seen thousand hands from him, and he raised in total 10 times and showed only AA/KK at the river you could probably fold QQ versus a flop raise.

A read 'rock-nit type' is absolutly not enough to make you fold QQ.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:08 PM

Please don't fold.

Haupt_234
Old 07-21-2006, 02:51 PM

that's a dangerous and really really heroic fold. if we're talking about enormous sample sizes, or if we were on the bubble of a huge NLHE MTT facing the big stack at the table i could consider a fold. but in a small stakes limit game w/ a (probably) small sample size, this would be a very poor fold.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:58 PM

Do the facts: heads up/small pot; out of position impact this decision or is it all based on the absolute strength of QQ, and the fact that it isn't dominated frequently enough, and will sometimes hit, against even the UTG raising standards of a rock?

I had a read of a range of hands, but proceeded aggressively on the absolute strength of my hand. My more specific question is: How far should one go to support their instincts/hand reading? Obviously folding QQ preflop is rarely the right decision, but I thought good hand reading skills were what allowed top players to fold good hands that others would pay off with, and value bet with hands that others would lose bets with?

I only ask the question because I had a read that ended up being right.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:00 PM

Actually, that was one of my questions; If this is NLHET fold under certain circumstances, but a limit reraise, despite the risk? Thx.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:47 PM

I would not fold the QQ in a limit game against a single bet. Even if the player is a very tight player he will raise hands like JJ, AK, (strong hands) that you are a favorite against. So folding a QQ will almost always be wrong.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:52 PM

I agree, atleast call but I would reraise on the cheaper street.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My more specific question is: How far should one go to support their instincts/hand reading?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that if you have a post flop read on this guy, and depending on the board, a fold may be appropriate. But given what you feel is his range of hands, the fact that your in the blind, and the likelihood you have to win even if your behind, you have to play this preflop, probably reraise to get more information. then, reevaluate on the flop. your read has to be incredibly rock solid to make this fold.