Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 12:15 PM

Default Re: I played it wrong so I could ask about it (A7s)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i guess it could be an easy call i fyou expect to gain money by winning huge pots minus what you lose for calling 20 odd preflop bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

20 $1 bets is a hell of a lot to make up on average when you hit the nut flush by the river. Just not sure whether you win enough pots with non-flush hands to make them worth playing at all?

Then again, I suppose they must be, as many good players appear to advocate playing AXs in multiway, min-raised pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all of it needs to be made up with flushes. While everyone hates A-rag hands, when you are looking at an A in your hand and one on the board it is <40% that someone else was dealt an A (folded or not, 6-max). In addition, when there is another A out, a good chunk will have a worse kicker than the 7. So if you don't overplay TPNK it can get you some of those 20 bets back without the flush. Even the a-high showdown value might get you one back once in a while.

Personally, I think I've probably started to play Axs too much but I like it in late position with limped pots.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played it right so I could ask about it (A7s)

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 07-21-2006, 12:59 PM

Since you consider your play wrong, and I don't, might I ask what you would have done differently on the flop? Seems to me you are getting the right price to chase here.

Now maybe you have some FE to make a jam OK, but do you really think so?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:36 PM

Isnt unlimited betting texas holdem fun?

I really dont see anything wrong with this. If MP was just the raiser (i.e. not the re-raiser), than a re-raise on the flop seems mighty sexy.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you consider your play wrong, and I don't, might I ask what you would have done differently on the flop? Seems to me you are getting the right price to chase here.

Now maybe you have some FE to make a jam OK, but do you really think so?

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought that a jam might be correct, hoping to steal the pot or get headsup with the short stack when I have a decent draw and she often doesn't have much. I'm new to no limit, and I thought that stealing this pot was a worthwile move. It turns out it wasn't, and I was glad to learn it. Fwiw UTG+2 had 89o and MP1 took it home with Q8ss.

I very nearly put a big bet out there, but I was worried that UTG+2 wouldn't lay down any pair. What could have changed to encourage me to give more action? Two overcards to the board? A tighter UTG+2? A larger stack from UTG+2? Nothing?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought that a jam might be correct

[/ QUOTE ]

Save the jam (or fold, depending on the situation) for the times we're being offered INCORRECT odds to chase. In those situations, the fold equity can make up for the incorrect odds offered.

If someone's offering CORRECT odds, call... and call, and call.

Remember to say "thanks" when you hit. (and say "thank you VERY MUCH" when they also choose to pay you off...)

JMHO