Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Re: A *good* NL luckometer?

I have wanted this exact same thing...

I will frequently go over the "big hands" and calculate the EV using the win % on PT while stepping through a hand. I.E. looking at my odds at the time the money goes in. However, this is very time consuming.

What I imagine is a "Sklansky bucks" calculator that would calculate your EV for every street of every hand. You could then compare this number with your actual win rate and see if you are running lucky/unlucky, and by how much.

I think this would be very helpful in keeping you in perspective on your play. Right now, most players can't tell if they're playing good/bad, or just running good/bad. They may think they can tell, but I doubt if they really can with any degree of accuracy.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:52 PM

The problem with a simple Sklansky bucks calculator is that it would only work for hands that make it to showdown (or in the rare cases that an opponent shows his winning hand with no callers), and it would be impossible to accurately calculate fold equity no matter how much information you have. Not to mention calculating the value of certain plays (value betting the river comes to mind in particular).
Old 07-12-2006, 05:28 PM

I dont know anyhting about programming so I haven o clue how hard it would be. It doesnt even have to be a general "luck" percentage, just show me what % of all ins I win with what odds etc.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know anyhting about programming so I haven o clue how hard it would be. It doesnt even have to be a general "luck" percentage, just show me what % of all ins I win with what odds etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have software that will do exactly that, with an enormous amount of detail, but only for Stars SnGs.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its pretty hard to do, take my word for it.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:31 AM

d10 I agree, also, it's impossible for a program to take into account the range of hands you put your opponent on when you act. However...

I think it would be valuable and helpful to at least analyze the hands that do make it to showdown, and what your ev was when the money went in.

You can play "perfectly" but if you lose one big pot every 500 hands it will be the difference between being a winning or losing player. Now, it would be very helpful to know if, when the pots get big, you are making the correct decision, or just getting lucky/unlucky. Right now, the process of examining these situations is VERY time consuming.

Hopefully PT will add this someday. I would pay at least $100 for an add on product if it did what I need it to do.

BTW the evtester.com mentioned above does NOT do anything close to what I am talking about.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:01 PM

salloch

What you are asking for is to support bluffs, suckouts, pot equity etc including where others fold hands which you never see. Not easy to see how you can analyse that.

That said, we've just released Version 0.4 of EVTESTER which now supports Cryptologic hand histories and has improved error handling.

http://www.evtester.com