Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2006, 08:19 PM

Default Re: SSNL Common spots #2

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

HU in position I think you'll find that unless villain is a total calling station, we find it +EV to cbet any and every flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be +EV in a vaccumm, but I find that checking behind w/ a certain frequency on certain boards leads to more +EV situations in the future. I'll let others elaborate if they wish.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, please elaborate, b/c i think this sounds importants, and i don't quite follow you
Old 07-20-2006, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

HU in position I think you'll find that unless villain is a total calling station, we find it +EV to cbet any and every flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be +EV in a vaccumm, but I find that checking behind w/ a certain frequency on certain boards leads to more +EV situations in the future. I'll let others elaborate if they wish.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, please elaborate, b/c i think this sounds importants, and i don't quite follow you

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he means that by checking through in some cases where a bet has marginal EV and our hand has some showdown value we may gain greater fe on future c-bets.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:34 PM

j,

fair enough. If this is what he means, then i guess thats OK, bu i really dont think it makes that much difference. FWIW, I'll check behind a hand with showdown value on the flop pretty often, such as A3s on a AJ2r flop or whatever

EDIT: buts thats more for the most +EV way to play that hand more gthan metagame
Old 07-20-2006, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
j,

fair enough. If this is what he means, then i guess thats OK, bu i really dont think it makes that much difference. FWIW, I'll check behind a hand with showdown value on the flop pretty often, such as A3s on a AJ2r flop or whatever

EDIT: buts thats more for the most +EV way to play that hand more gthan metagame

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wild, given that you're c-betting every time you miss.

I think you guys have settled on some so-so strategies, because they work well enough to win. Any strategy that includes tight pre-flop play will tend to do well at these stakes. C-betting every flop is definitely sub-optimal against loose players. It seems to me that you've determined, "they fold enough overall to make betting every flop a +EV play." So, if he folds 25% on flop a, and 80% on flop b, and both flops are equally likely, then betting both will show a profit just in the times he folds. Lazy, since just not betting flop a would increase your profits substantially. and with a little thought about what your opponent calls with and what hands he fears from you, you could figure out which textures are best to c-bet, and which ones suck. On the QJx flop (two suits), you have nothing, and a loose player will at least call 2/3 of the time--maybe more. Checking behind is generally better. If you c-bet 100% of the time when checked to, you will never win on a flop like this against a decent player, if they have anything. The only way you can win a lot with a bet on flops like this is if you have shown some selectivity in the flops you bet.

Obviously there's a lot more to say about this, but this is already long.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:51 PM

cero,

[ QUOTE ]
with a little thought about what your opponent calls with

[/ QUOTE ]

At these stakes and against this type of player he may defend his BB with hands as bad as 52o. I am not joking.

Against someone who is calling flops light, exercising some kind of hand selection and paying some attention to how you play checking behind some of the time has a greater EV fo sho.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:56 PM

all, but i'm not gonna try to steal the blind of a loose passive player
Old 07-20-2006, 11:36 PM

1.) 3/4 pot
2.) 3/4 pot
3.) 3/4 pot
4.) 3/4 pot
5.) closer to pot because of the flush draw
6.) check
7.) closer to pot again because the board is drawy.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:42 PM

any hand that has atleast 2 braodways that doesnt pair. Also most raggedy board I would cbet but then again I dont know what type of player bb is so IT DEPENDS
[ QUOTE ]
Well the first thread got a great response, thanks everyone who responded [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Villian in this hand is a rather loose/passive 45/10 player. You don't have a great deal of history with him, but he doesn't seem like the type to raise you with air to pick off your c-bet.

You open 4xBB with 3c3s from the CO, and he is the only caller from the BB. Effective stacks are ~100BBs.

The flop comes

1) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
4) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
5) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
6) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
7) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Which flops do you c-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-21-2006, 05:15 AM

I check behind no 6 against a loose passive, fire the turn if he checks again.

I cbet the rest.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he means that by checking through in some cases where a bet has marginal EV and our hand has some showdown value we may gain greater fe on future c-bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

that and against agressive opponents who cr a lot of cbets and we have a longshot draw, to take it if it means we have a shot at their stack