Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2006, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Worst movies of all time

Big Jim McClain: John Wayne tracks down communists inflitrating the government in, you guessed it, Hawaii!

Here's an overview:

Lacking even a pretense at sophistication, BIG JIM McCLAIN endures because it is John Wayne playing John Wayne. A founder of the anticommunist Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals with Leo McCarey, John Ford, and others, Wayne produced the film as a personal statement. He expressed his admiration for the valor of the HUAC committee, “undaunted by the vicious campaign of slander launched against them,” as the narrator intones. It is the same type of unrestrained chauvinism Wayne articulated in his best known personal statement, THE ALAMO (1960).

Again we have anti-intellectualism, an untrustworthy college professor, and communists cloaked in the trappings of gangsters. New ground is broken, however, by promoting the HUAC committee and its agents as the heroes, instead of the FBI, and by associating communism with China instead of Russia. Wayne would continue that association later in BLOOD ALLEY (1955), his analysis of the Chinese revolution. Right and justice triumph, aided by Wayne’s willingness to brawl with enemy agents.

Clearly the poorest and most inept production of the three, BIG JIM McCLAIN appears on television more frequently than the others, a tribute to Wayne’s popularity. An effort by Wayne to express his patriotism and faith in HUAC, the film also is a blatant attempt to exploit the commercial possibilities of anti-communism at a time when the producer was in a desperate financial condition. A scathing indictment was offered by Bosley Crowther.

“But the over-all mixing of cheap fiction with a contemporary crisis in American life is irresponsible and unforgivable. No one deserves credit for this film.”(13)
Old 07-20-2006, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Big Jim McClain: John Wayne tracks down communists inflitrating the government in, you guessed it, Hawaii!

Here's an overview:

Lacking even a pretense at sophistication, BIG JIM McCLAIN endures because it is John Wayne playing John Wayne. A founder of the anticommunist Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals with Leo McCarey, John Ford, and others, Wayne produced the film as a personal statement. He expressed his admiration for the valor of the HUAC committee, “undaunted by the vicious campaign of slander launched against them,” as the narrator intones. It is the same type of unrestrained chauvinism Wayne articulated in his best known personal statement, THE ALAMO (1960).

Again we have anti-intellectualism, an untrustworthy college professor, and communists cloaked in the trappings of gangsters. New ground is broken, however, by promoting the HUAC committee and its agents as the heroes, instead of the FBI, and by associating communism with China instead of Russia. Wayne would continue that association later in BLOOD ALLEY (1955), his analysis of the Chinese revolution. Right and justice triumph, aided by Wayne’s willingness to brawl with enemy agents.

Clearly the poorest and most inept production of the three, BIG JIM McCLAIN appears on television more frequently than the others, a tribute to Wayne’s popularity. An effort by Wayne to express his patriotism and faith in HUAC, the film also is a blatant attempt to exploit the commercial possibilities of anti-communism at a time when the producer was in a desperate financial condition. A scathing indictment was offered by Bosley Crowther.

“But the over-all mixing of cheap fiction with a contemporary crisis in American life is irresponsible and unforgivable. No one deserves credit for this film.”(13)

[/ QUOTE ]

lol....superb choice.....el doggo grande!!

I love many of John Waynes movies (all Westerns), but I cringe at the thought of some of the stinkers he made.

This was one of the worst!

p.s. I thought 'Green Berets' was his most well know 'personal statement'?

There's another real stinker for your list...
Old 07-20-2006, 10:52 PM

Battlefield Earth - no justification necessary.

About Schmidt - This movie was so bad that I locked up my Jack Nicholson sunglasses for 6 weeks.

Madagascar - One of the worst children's/animated films imaginable. It was basically a New York City propaganda film disguised as a childrens movie. To think that suits made money off that... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

EDIT: I remembered another one, although it was a TV movie... The Crooked "E": The story of Enron. God was this thing awful. Thrown together by a bunch of drunken monkeys. And it even had Brian Dennehy and Shannon Elizabeth in it! If Nadia was topless in every scene, it wouldn't have rescued this steaming pile of horse sh*t.
Let me put it this way, they showed "Downtown Houston", and I think it was Vancouver. I mean, one of the buildings had the Canadian flag in front of it for Christ's sake!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:54 PM

My friends and I were looking for the worst movie we could find in the video store one night for [censored] and giggles. Luckily, we came upon this:

Old 07-20-2006, 11:09 PM

I can't believe that no-one's mentioned 'Mission to Mars' - the ultimate product placement movie with absolutely zero redeeming features. It just sucks sooooo badly.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only movie I ever walked out in is The PaulBearer. It had David Schimwmer and my mom wanted to see it. It was terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you leave your mom?!?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe that no-one's mentioned 'Mission to Mars' - the ultimate product placement movie with absolutely zero redeeming features. It just sucks sooooo badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this the one with Don Cheadle and Tim Robbins? It wasn't very good but I thought it was completely average, all things considered. Nowhere near the worst movies of all time.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:57 PM

I'll nominate "8 Seconds": A movie that features Luke Perry of "Beverly Hills 90210" fame as a bull rider with a dream to be a rodeo champion. This was actually released theatrically so it's not a B movie. The only redeeming feature is that he dies at the end. 8 seconds is about 7 seconds too much of this movie.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:01 AM

The Day after Tommorow- (spoilers.. i guess)

This movie was horrendous. Even after suspending disbelief and accepting that the world is ending to extreme weather nothing makes sense. Dennis Quad travels from Washington to New York in subzero weather (without dying) on a snowmobile to find his son. At the end he finds his son (who miracously had survived and was perfectly safe), despite having no idea where to iniatally look and then the movie ends. What was the point???
I also love the scene (sarcasm) where the kids are running through the building being chased by the "cold" like some low budget horror movie. Then they slam the door on the "cold" and it goes away. wtf?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:02 AM

I nominate Syriana. I consider myself a fairly intelligent movie watcher, but man I just didnt get it. 15 million characters all (at best) marginally related, horrendous dialogue and just confusion for me from start to finish. i guess I am adding it here because of the hype it received compared to what I saw on the screen.