Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 11:27 AM

Default Flopping Bottom set

Well what do you do when you flop bottom set? I went through this last night, raise/reraise/reraise. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on this, I know I shouldnt be going broke when it happens but have problems laying it down when the board is non suited and non connecting. Thoughts when you flop bottom set and the other guy has a bigger set.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Flopping Bottom set

Well flopping bottom set can surely get you into trouble, when your up against a better set. If its a non threatening flop id prolly get a good deal of money in. There really isnt much you can do with these situations. I mean the whole reason you play these small pairs is solely to hit that set..and if its a small pair that means chances are there will be overs. So of course you really shouldnt play it any different. I guess id have to be playing to decide to lay that down it would have to be a monster read I got on the guy on a non suited, connecting flop to lay down ANY set.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:16 PM

I think you go broke with bottom set vs higher sets in lower limits. unless you know for sure villain is ultranit.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:55 PM

Just flopped bottom set last night in NL game. I agree that you are fairly punched and need to get some money in the pot. Short of knowing a player very well as a rock you're gonna play, so play strong.

This flop was 7-8-4 with two diamonds, me with three fours. Very dangerous. UTG bet $20, call, call, call, and someone makes it $100 (BTW, it's a great game, LOL, that I'm new to). What are you gonna do? I made it $300, got called only by the other raiser who had J-J but hadn't raised pre-flop. No jack, I stack. Lucky me.

Cinch
Old 07-19-2006, 06:15 PM

Assuming a passive game, you have to be board aware in most cases to paint, straight and flush draws.

You do not want to have called or raised late, have a board of T,J,A, and then have two or three callers and a raise ahead of you.

In a tougher game you would like to have 2 5 8 on the flop and let the big cards/pairs think they are fighting for the pot.

Generally, you aren't playing a real strong hand for many games, so it is a hand that wins over time, or at least that is the plan.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:43 PM

How often are you going to lose set over set? Not too often, so I don't worry about it. I've gone broke set over set several times. Sometimes with the 8-7-4 board someone will have the straight. But most likely by the time you figure that out you're pot-committed anyway and drawing. I just don't worry about making the huge laydown here. If someone's got my set beat on this board, I'm busted.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:15 PM

When you flop bottom set, you've flopped a set. That's a strong but not invulnerable hand.

If someone else flops a bigger set, you're going to lose a bunch of money. If they haven't, you're going to win money, quite likely a bunch.

Set over set happens, but not that often.

That's why they call it "gambling."
Old 07-20-2006, 05:03 PM

if you don't lose a lot money in a set-overset hand, it's because you didn't play it aggressively enough.