Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2006, 10:19 AM

Default Why the need to take sides????

I see so many posts and polls out here asking people which side they are on, and I wonder why the need? I'd like to give my view on Israel/Palestine and see what u guys think. I'm no genius or anything and I'm not saying that I'm right, I'd just like to see how my views would go over in a forum full of very intelligent and educated poker players.

My view: Taking sides is a bad strategy in this Israel/Arab conflict. America has taken Israel's side for years to no avail. When the west goes to Israel/Palestine to discuss peace, we go over with a pro-Jewish, condescending attitude. How in the world do we broker peace when then Arabs know that we are so pro-Jewish/anti-Arabic??? It won't ever work.

So how do we solve this problem between our Jewish and Arab brothers over in the desert? First of all, we need to be more even-handed in the conflict. That's step one. Stop treating the Arabs like they aren't humans. Now, that's no stroke of genius because I think we all know that we are fueling the fire with our politics.

Now here's the real solution to this problem. This fighting is never going to stop if we keep taking up arms against each other. I think the solution is to create a better understanding between Jews and Muslims. I think the best way to do this is to set up a non-profit or gov't organization called the Jewish-Arabic-Alliance. The idea would be to get top Jewish and Arabic minds together to discuss these issues and slowely bring in members of the community. We'd have weekly discussions, pot-lucks, events...the whole shabang....bringing Jews and Muslims together...These ideas would spread all over the world and eventually we'd achieve a better situation in the world. We could even invite Israeli/Palestinian leaders over and have discussions. This organization should, of all places, start in the burbs of D.C. We've got many smart Jews and Arabs in that area and the location would have significance.

Bottom line is that both Israelis and Arabs are not going to buckle. They are both ready to fight to the death. And for what? Its so unnecessary...

Indy
Old 07-20-2006, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Why the need to take sides????

By the way, I'd like to personally apologize to all Jews and Muslims around the world for our gov'ts sloppy work in the middle east. I'd also like to apologize for the Christian right (which includes my very own mother and father) for their fanaticism which is only making the situation worse in the middle east. I personally reject my parents teachings that all of this is out of our control and that the Jews and Arabs are going to just slaughter each other because it is Bible prophecy. Sure, maybe this is going to happen, but its our obligation as rational citizens to fight hard for human rights and to try and solve these problems and bring peace and liberty to all people.

Indy
Old 07-20-2006, 10:31 AM

Why do you assume the Americans want peace?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:34 AM

you misunderstand the situation so badly. you all do.

you cannot negotiate with the people causing these problems. you cannot appease them. you have to destroy them. they want to kill you, there is nothing you can do, or say, to change that. those are the facts.

you HAVE to take sides in this issue. either you support the people of the middle east, all of them. or, you support the terrorists. there is no other option.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:37 AM

this is an idealistic and silly idea.

the world doesnt work like you think it should. people are not all nice. there are some really evil people in the world.

the jews and arabs do not have to slaughter each other. they both need to slaughter the terrorists though.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the world doesnt work like you think it should. people are not all nice. there are some really evil people in the world.

the jews and arabs do not have to slaughter each other. they both need to slaughter the terrorists though.

[/ QUOTE ]

xpokerx,

What I am saying is that we've already tried the killing thing. I believe that both Jewish and Arabic kids learn these fanatical ideas at home from their parents, just as I learned some crazy stuff from my parents. I think its worth a try to have a few meeting of the minds and try an alternative solution.

Killing people will not work. Both sides are ready to fight to the death and it will happen if the civilized world does not come up with a better strategy than guns and bullets.

Indy
Old 07-20-2006, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your idea is idealistic. Arabs are not going to join Jews to kill terrorists.

And another thing. How does killing these terrorists solve a problem when more and terrorists will just come in behind them?

Indy
Old 07-20-2006, 10:58 AM

there has been almost 60 years of the talking that you suggest. its only getting worse. there is a reason for that.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there has been almost 60 years of the talking that you suggest. its only getting worse. there is a reason for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

But simply killing the terrorists won't work as long as there are plenty of new recruits. Hizballa has had 2000 new recruits over the past yr. according to MSNBC.

Indy
Old 07-20-2006, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you misunderstand the situation so badly. you all do.

you cannot negotiate with the people causing these problems. you cannot appease them. you have to destroy them. they want to kill you, there is nothing you can do, or say, to change that. those are the facts.

you HAVE to take sides in this issue. either you support the people of the middle east, all of them. or, you support the terrorists. there is no other option.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like you have some misunderstandings of your own. The OP was discussing some sort of alliance between Jews and Arabs/Muslims, presumably the moderates of each side.

And you respond by conflating the motives of all of the people who are using or advocating the use of force against the Western Powers (US/Israel) and labeling them terrorists.

While it might fit your simple notions of the situation to argue that the Sunni insurgency in Iraq, hizbollah, hamas, Iran, Syria and Al Qaeda are simply terrorists organizations or state supporters of terrorists who want to kill us, it displays the same lack of understanding and ability to address the issues that characterize this Administration and its policies in the mideast.