Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: You Play Too Tight

I don't know what you guys are talking about but this weekend was my first time playing online on PP (I play live tournaments and cash) and tight was the last thing I can call those players.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:04 PM

Default I\'m to tight and know it.

my VPIP is also 15 and i know its to low. i four table 2/4 i just can't find the places to play more hands.

Defend the blinds more??
play more unsuited or suited 2 gappers from late position w/ only one caller??
play more low pp and Axs from early with weak players??

i have a hard time changing if i don't know what to do.
The other major problem is poker has a huge varience and so if i change somthing and its unprofitable i may never actually figure it out.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was going to say the opposite. Maybe that means I'm finally getting these plays figured out? Who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I know it definitely means I'm just getting started.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:37 PM

I'll give it a shot.

[ QUOTE ]
1) You have 7 6 in the BB. Everyone folds to a 2+2er who open-raises on the Button. Folded to you. Call, fold or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Call

[ QUOTE ]
2) Same scenario as above except your hand is A 8 . Call, fold or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Call

[ QUOTE ]
3) Same as above except your hand is T 9 . Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Call

[ QUOTE ]
Same scenario as above but your hand is Q 4 . Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd fold, but i think it's close

[ QUOTE ]
5) Two loose players in MP limp and you have 7 5 on the Button. The blinds are fairly loose. Call, fold or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Same scenario as above except your hand is J 9 . Call, fold or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Huge fold.

[ QUOTE ]
7) It's folded to you on the Button and you have A 6 . The SB and BB are unknowns. Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise

[ QUOTE ]
8) Same scenario as above except your hand is 9 8 . Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise

[ QUOTE ]
) A 2+2er raises UTG+1 and a loose fish in UTG+2 cold calls. You are next to act in EMP. You have T 8 and the players behind you are fairly loose. Call, fold or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fold

[ QUOTE ]
10) Same scenario as above except your hand is 5 5 . Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm alot more inclined to call this than the T8h, I suppose it comes down to exactly how loose and passive the other players actually are.I'd probably muck in in the typical 50-100 game, but that game is rarely loose..

[ QUOTE ]
11) You are on the Button with K Q . An aggressive player is in the CO and open-raises. The blinds are fairly tight. Call, fold or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
3-bet

[ QUOTE ]
12) Same scenario as above except your hand is 6 6 . Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
3-bet

[ QUOTE ]
You are in UTG+1. UTG folds. Your hand is A 9 . The players behind you are loose and fairly passive. Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fold

[ QUOTE ]
Same as above except your hand is K J . Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fold

[ QUOTE ]
15) You are UTG and first to act. The game is tighter than usual for your limit and a 2+2er is in the big blind. Your hand is A T . Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fold

[ QUOTE ]
16) Same as above except your hand is Q T . Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd fold.

[ QUOTE ]
17) Same as above except your hand is 7 7 . Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd raise.

[ QUOTE ]
A 2+2er raises from three off the Button. It's folded to you on the Button, where you have A J . The blinds are unknown. Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
3-bet

[ QUOTE ]
19) A very loose and passive player limps in late middle position. You have A 9 on the Button. A 2+2er is in the SB and you don't know the BB. Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise

[ QUOTE ]
Same as above except your hand is 4 4 . Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise, but it's marginal.

[ QUOTE ]
21) An average player open-raises in middle position. You are in the SB and have 6 6 . This game features a 1/2 blind structure. The BB is fairly loose. Call, fold or raise

[/ QUOTE ]
Tough one, I prefer 3-betting over calling though.

[ QUOTE ]
22) Same as above except your hand is Q J . Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty easy fold.

[ QUOTE ]
23) You are in the BB and everyone folds to a 2+2er in the SB, who raises. Your hand is 8 7 . Call, fold, or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Easy call.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:21 PM

sublime is certainly right...... your basic AT KT QT and even JT offsuit hands are actually very easy and worth quite a bit from the button and cutoff. dont pass them up
Old 02-21-2005, 02:56 PM

1. Call
2. call
3. Fold
4. Fold
5. call
6. Fold
7. Raise
8. Raise
9. Fold
10. Call
11. Raise
12. Raise
13. Call
14. Fold
15. Raise
16. Call
17. Raise
18. Call
19. Fold
20. Call
21. Call
22. Fold
23. Call

Freakin
Old 02-21-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
21) An average player open-raises in middle position. You are in the SB and have 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. This game features a 1/2 blind structure. The BB is fairly loose. Call, fold or raise?

I've been workin with this one for awhile. I've been raising and liking it enough. Calling is oK too.

22) Same as above except your hand is Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Call, fold, or raise?

call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind the 66 call, but coldcalling the smallblind to a MP average player with QJo? That sounds awful. What is your postflop plan here on these flops:

347o

T84o

K97o

JT7o

Q64o

AQ8o

A87o

-DrG
Old 02-21-2005, 03:48 PM

This quiz can I not answer.... The problem is that I cant tell because everything depends on who it is that I play against. 2+2:er is not specific enough for me.

I would absolutly not play the same way if the 2+2er had a VPIP 13% and pfr 5.5% or if he had something like me: VPIP 25% and PFR between 12-13%...

Well I cold probably specific this my self but I am to lazy today.. But I am anyway probably not one of those that have to find more hands to play (probably less hands) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].. Cant get under 20% so I can not understand how people can play with only 15%....

Have fun!
Old 02-21-2005, 03:51 PM

I dunno. Wanna try a quiz?

1) You have 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB. Everyone folds to a 2+2er who open-raises on the Button. Folded to you. Call, fold or raise?

Call. If I hit a 7, a 6, two clubs, or an OESD, I'll check-raise the flop. If I miss entirely, I'll check-fold.

2) Same scenario as above except your hand is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Call, fold or raise?

This one's tougher. I hate Ace-rag.

I call, and then call him down if an A or 8 comes. Otherwise, I fold.

3) Same as above except your hand is T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Call, fold, or raise?

I call, and revert to the plan in question #1. (Except for the flush-draw, of course.)

4) Same scenario as above but your hand is Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Call, fold, or raise?

Fold. I'd only try to play this hand short-handed or against a LAG or a perpetual blind-stealer.

5) Two loose players in MP limp and you have 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the Button. The blinds are fairly loose. Call, fold or raise?

I fold. I don't play suited gaps lower than J9.

6) Same scenario as above except your hand is J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Call, fold or raise?

I fold. The weakest o/s gap I play is QT, and that rarely.

7) It's folded to you on the Button and you have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The SB and BB are unknowns. Call, fold, or raise?

It depends on how I'd been running. If I thought my raise would get some respect, I'd raise. Otherwise I'd fold.

People are funny - if they see you winning, they tend to get out of your way. If they see you losing, they tend to pile on.

8) Same scenario as above except your hand is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Call, fold, or raise?

Raise. This hand has a lot of deception value, as well as being a reasonably good hand anyway.

9) A 2+2er raises UTG+1 and a loose fish in UTG+2 cold calls. You are next to act in EMP. You have T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the players behind you are fairly loose. Call, fold or raise?

Fold.

10) Same scenario as above except your hand is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Call, fold, or raise?

That's a tougher one. If I'm reasonably well convinced there will be a couple more calls behind me, I call. Otherwise I fold.

11) You are on the Button with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. An aggressive player is in the CO and open-raises. The blinds are fairly tight. Call, fold or raise?

If he's LAG, I raise. If he's TAG (or in-between), I call.

If I'm wanted to shut out the blinds, I would raise, but I'm more worried about shutting them out when they're loose, and less worried if they're tight.

12) Same scenario as above except your hand is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Call, fold, or raise?

I think you need to raise here. You really don't want the blinds tagging along if you can help it.

If the CO is LAG, you can raise/bet the flop even if an A or K comes, and you probably need to bet the turn as well, if he checks/calls. If he's a TAG, I probably drop it if an A or K comes on the flop.

13) You are in UTG+1. UTG folds. Your hand is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The players behind you are loose and fairly passive. Call, fold, or raise?

Well, if the game is truly loose and passive, I guess you can call with this kind of speculative hand. I don't see this much at Party, though. I usually drop A9s from EP.

14) Same as above except your hand is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Call, fold, or raise?

In a loose-passive game, I suppose it would be correct to call - maybe even raise this hand.

I rarely ever see these kinds of LP games at Party, though - where LAGs (and even borderline maniacs) are about as common as the fish.

15) You are UTG and first to act. The game is tighter than usual for your limit and a 2+2er is in the big blind. Your hand is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Call, fold, or raise?

I fold this. AJ is about the weakest hand I'll raise UTG with.

16) Same as above except your hand is Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Call, fold, or raise?

Fold.

17) Same as above except your hand is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Call, fold, or raise?

Tough one. If it is a tighter than average table, I'll probably raise here, if I think my raise will get some respect (for example, because I've been winning).

18) A 2+2er raises from three off the Button. It's folded to you on the Button, where you have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The blinds are unknown. Call, fold, or raise?

Because you say he's 2+2, I just call here. Assuming he's pretty tight, he figures to be dominating me enough of the time that I'm not really looking to be heads up here.

Some of the value comes from the flush potential, so I might as go in multi-way.

19) A very loose and passive player limps in late middle position. You have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the Button. A 2+2er is in the SB and you don't know the BB. Call, fold, or raise?

Raise. Assuming the lp will limp there with almost anything, and the 2+2er will fold a lot of the hands you'd like him to fold, this is a nice hand to isolate.

20) Same as above except your hand is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Call, fold, or raise?

Raise. Same as above.

21) An average player open-raises in middle position. You are in the SB and have 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. This game features a 1/2 blind structure. The BB is fairly loose. Call, fold or raise?

I lean toward calling, but I think raising might be right as well.

22) Same as above except your hand is Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Call, fold, or raise?

From an average player, I'd fold this. If it was suited, I'd call.

23) You are in the BB and everyone folds to a 2+2er in the SB, who raises. Your hand is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Call, fold, or raise?

I think I have to call this. This is the absolute bottom of my blind-defense mode, though. If I miss the flop, I fold.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:05 PM

Oh really? My VPIP is 12.1, and I have had to work to get it there, from previous levels of 11.45. I don't know what happened, I used to play with a healthy VPIP of 16+, but ever since I got comfortable at super tight 5/10 full, things haven't been the same for me, regardless of game. I am on a serious mission to loosen WAY up now.

from what i know those 5/10 games are full of rocks and are pretty tough. i wouldnt know, because i never sit in tough games [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

loosen up in late postiion with hands like QT/KT/JT etc. Its okay to open with hands like this in late position.

why do you even bother playing in those 5/10 party rock fests?