Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 05:14 PM

Default Re: parents want me to quit poker...need advice (semi-long)

How are your grades? Are you doing the best you can in school and you have to answer that honestly. As a parent myself I would rather you be playing online than bar hopping. If your grades are not suffering than I would take some of the 25K and use it for something that they pay for. Pay your car insurance or your books or a couple months rent...something that shows you are responsable. Second treat it like a part time job and sell them that as well. If your grades start to suffer...poker will be the first thing that they look at and you will have to lay off. If you really want to play you will have to work a lot hard than if you weren't playing...anyway GL.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:46 PM

Get great(not just good) grades and prove to your parents you can handle it. Even if you double your winnings/yr, it's not gonna amount to anything once you graduate.

DN
Old 07-19-2006, 10:58 PM

OK guys I talked it over I'm going to cash everything to my bank account before I head off (I need some to pay anyway, I am paying first semester as I am the only one with money right now) then reevaluate in a month in a half. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:38 PM

Just tell them that you will quit poker and contribute to society when advertising agencies are outlawed.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:47 PM

Mike, I'm assuming you worked your way from 25nl-400nl and a 25kbr in the last 8 months or so. You could always cash out everything but a grand and grind from nl50 back up again.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:24 PM

Nothing could stunt your development as a well rounded person with social skills more than majoring in engineering.

Trust me, I'm an engineer.

If you dislike girls, talking, music, art, and all forms of creativity...then engineering is for you!

As for advice with the parent thing, search this site, there's tons of similiar posts.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:44 PM

Unless I badly misread when I skimmed this thread, the poster says that he earned $25K playing poker and he is the one paying for his own college because his parents can't afford it. Sounds like he is a better money manager than they are, and frankly in that case I would ignore their advice. There are plenty of middle-aged people who don't have a clue about how to make or manage money, and sad to say, plenty of them pass on their bad advice and misinformation to their kids. I would listen to Mom at such time as Mom proves she can actually afford to fund the second semester of college. Because, honestly, I'm skeptical at this point. The poster has money in pocket. Mom doesn't seem to.

Take it from a lady who is probably WAY more than twice your age, unless they are themselves in the gambling industry, it doesn't matter how old you get, your parents are not going to be supportive. Don't think that when you turn 30 or 40, your parents will think it's OK. Don't think that when you win enough to pay cash for your house, as I did, that your parents will think it's OK. They will never think it's OK. It just isn't going to happen. You are going to have to agree to disagree. Daddy doesn't always know best. You just have to accept that they won't understand your choice and find something else to discuss over Sunday dinner. They'll adjust.

My personal choice is that I would not let the bankroll get too low, because I would never, ever want to be in a position where I would have to fall back and borrow from disapproving parents. So I would maintain a higher roll than other people have suggested. But anyone who can run $50 to $25K in that short amount of time (assuming skilled play rather than dumb luck) should be giving me advice, not the other way round.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing could stunt your development as a well rounded person with social skills more than majoring in engineering.

Trust me, I'm an engineer.

If you dislike girls, talking, music, art, and all forms of creativity...then engineering is for you!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, at least it's not physics. I have known fun-loving engineers that are very popular with the ladies, Quanah. Both dropped out though, before the third year, because they couldn't cut it. Ladies men and their ilk have no place in the technical majors. Business major + frat = booze, babes, popularity, and other useless things. Physics, however, scars you for life. It's difficult to even be sociable ONLINE.

Oh, and for the OP, INVEST. Study up, leave it be for 40 years and you should be a millionaire off 10g's. Seriously, time is money. Maybe tell your parents that you'll invest all your rb? Half of which will add to their retirement fund? Just an idea.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:18 PM

if you consider yourself self-aware and responsible, you should do what you want.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do what you think is best otherwise you'll never get ahead in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on. You need to make your own choices. I'm sure your parents mean well but you cannot rely on other people to do your thinking for you. No matter how much they care