Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 09:36 AM

Default Re: What Aren\'t You Getting From Your WSOP Coverage...?

I didn't exactly read what other people have posted, so I might be repeating some stuff.

1) Most importently, GET A GAMECAST. Seriously. Why the [censored] hasn't this done already? All final tables should have a gamecast type update on java, where everyhand is updated live. This is availbale for almost any sport updates out there (and I know since i'm a fantasy sport freak). These updates are straight off 1996. I'm sure the technology for a gamecast updates from hand 1 are possible, but at least get one for FT's.

2) Better writing. There are plenty of great bloggers out there with writing skills who can do these updates. I have no idea where they get their interns, but geez.

3) Profiles. It's hard enough to care about 8 unknowns players and 1 semi-pro when they reach the FT. Some of these unknowns might be known live players who don't post on 2+2 or P5, some might have an interesting live story. Talk to them before the FT starts. Get a profile on with a picture so I'll have some intrest in that. Pokerpages used to do that, but their WSOP coverage is terrible, due to CP buying the updates rights.

4) More non-hand related anacdotes. Especially in middle stages or during the bubble, where few showdowns are seen, get some stories from around the tables. The few that are updated are usually entertaining enough to be re-posted here, so get more of these.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You couldn't have updates on each hand on each table.

but I don't think it would be that impossible to have a list of all 2k players on day 1a and have semi-frequent updates on their chip-stack size.

I think it could be done semi-decently with 10 people.
You would have 4 people roaming around. Each would cover 1/4 of the tables. So they only have 50 tables to update.

You have 4 people on head-sets and computers to copy-in all the info that is being relayed to them audibly.

You hsve 2 people on stand-by to rotate in and give breaks.

Reporter A is covering tables 1-50 and is on a head-set just saying out-loud the chip-stack sizes of each player at each table.
He is speaking directly to blogger-A who is updating the first 500 names on the list.

he starts at table 1 and just says:
1-1 (no need to say Table 1, Seat 1) - John smith, 10-thousand
1-2 - Matt Akawnadoodle-doo, 9-thousand, 8-hundred

etc etc

The blogger who is listening to all this has a list of all the names in the correct table-order and is also able to easily find them via alphabetical or anything else. Just use a decent program that allows you to toggle back and forth between lists for when players get moved to different tables.

so that guy mostly just has to find the name (and have a program that makes it easy to do so) and type in the approximated chip-amount.

Now that I think about it, 2 reporters in each quandrant might be a little bit better so that they can kind of keep up with players who have been eliminated who tend to leave as fast as they can a lot of the time.

It would also be helpful if each player were required to give their name after busting-out.

as it is currently, if you aren't in the money you just bust-out and leave the room...without me saying so there is absolutely no record of whether I busted on day 1a at 1:00pm or at 11:00pm.

I'm sure I'm making this a little more complicated than it needs to be.
But the way I envision it, it would definitely be do-able to update the ups and downs of 2,000 players and their chip-stacks if a web-site had the manpower and desire to do this.

I also believe that an audio-webcast could conceiveably be done similarly (again, borrowing from the NASCAR radio structue a bit).
But you would have to have a little more story-line in there of the name players and couldn't just read a list of every single one of the 2,000 names over and over again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know what you're talking about. Covering 500 people with one person in a timely fashion is impossible.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:42 PM

I think you my have misread him. The third paragraph in your quote he says 10 people, not 1. But, you're right, 1 person covering a 500 man event is impossible. I was involved in covering the WPT Foxwoods event which had about that many people and was just me and another person -- and it was an exhausting (yet thrilling) week. Sadly, many events don't allow for unlimited press badges for various sites, especially non-CardPlayer / -PokerWire ones.