Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 10:12 AM

Default A relative newbie is lost on HOH vol II and +EV plays in MTTīs

Hi all,

First post on this forum, have been lurking for quite a while.

Been playing poker for about a year now, but I really want and need to study to become better.
I have won 3 small (5+0,5) MTTīs so far, and seen quite a few final tables.

My questions are quite basic, so here goes-

In HOH vol.II, there is this thing called RALH, or RAHL, I do not have the book handy, but I guess the people who know the book know what I am talking about.

Is my assumption that this section of the book basically talks about the same methods applied in the Sit and Go Power tools?

If so, I am a bit lost here. Presuming that the Sit and Go powertools are exactly for that (for sit and goīs, one table), what is the difference between the methodology described in HOH vol II (which is obviously for MTTīs) and the SNGPT??

I have the feeling I might be mixing up things here...

And another question about +EV plays...

In a MTT, is it always correct to choose the +EV plays, even though they might be considered as coinflips, or do the good players sometimes choose for the lesser -EV play in order to stay alive in the tournament?

My reasoning here is of course that as +EV as a play might get, if you lose, you are out, or heavily crippled.

Given the fact that there might be better opportunities to wait for (unless short stacked), is the +EV play always mandatory?

I hope someone here can shed a light on this topic, cos straightforward as it seems, I do not seem to be able to get a definitive answer on this question.

Kind regards, and thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:28 AM

Default Re: A relative newbie is lost on HOH vol II and +EV plays in MTTīs

I think you mean SHAL (Structured Hand Analysis). This is basically the same thing as SNGPT. SNGPT is structured around STT's though. SNGPT can calculate your $EV which is your equity in terms of the prize pool and not your chips.

I believe it is always correct to choose the +EV plays in an MTT and also satellites. Folding aces to a re-raise all-in late in a satellite would be considered +EV.

By the way, do you have any of your HH of your tourney wins that you would be willing to send me? I've been playing poker for about the same amount of time as you except I've only been playing poker for real money about a month now. I'm having trouble with micro buyin tourneys and I would like to study someones HH for a small buy-in tourney.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I believe it is always correct to choose the +EV plays in an MTT and also satellites. Folding aces to a re-raise all-in late in a satellite would be considered +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on whether you are referring to $EV or cEV. In MTT's you should always consider cEV except under extreme circumstances near the bubble. Folding aces to a re-raise all-in late in a satellite would be considered -cEV..

Anyway, to answer the original posters question, yes I think you can pass on a slightly +EV decision, if losing it would force you to miss out on a larger +EV situation later. Similarily you should sometimes take a slighlty -EV situation, if winning it would allow you to avoid an even greater -EV sitation later.
See TPFAP for more on this.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:11 PM

one of the biggest misconceptions in tournament poker (even by many of the big name pros, as evidenced on one of the latest episodes of "the circuit") is this myth that folding known edges early is advantageous because of a possible skill edge late. in general, take any +EV situation you can, even if its 51/49.

one great thread on this would be here: http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/show...part=1&vc=1
and a great article on it by matt matros is here: http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/15093
Old 07-19-2006, 12:11 PM

There's a couple reasons to fold hands that you think are ahead, or +EV in both 1-table and Multi-table tournaments.

If you are close to, or on the bubble for the prize pool(this is more the case for 1-table SNG's) and your stack is not under a great deal of pressure from the blinds, it can be correct to fold hands like AKo to a large raise, since if you are only a slight favourite, you are giving yourself a 45% chance (rough estimate) of losing and being the most likely to NOT finish in the money. If you throw the hand away with no money invested, you have at least one other player who is more likely to finish out of the money.

In a large MTT this can be the case very early in tournament. While you want to play big hands aggressively, if someone else overbets into you in the early stages of a long tournament, it is not the goal to be going into coinflip situations, even when you think you may ahead and therefore +EV. It is the exact oppossite when you are in the money and at the final table.

So like Jonny5 noted, it's mostly REAL money considerations that would cause you to fold +EV hands. The unique structure of tournaments means that in situations where the prize pool is very close or very far you take less risks like the ones you described.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:43 PM

Thanks for your answers. Seems to me the general consensus is to play all +ev situations, especially after reading the excellent article by this Mr. Matros.

Due to a crash I lost all my hand histories, but I took 16th out of a field of 781 yesterday in the paradise big buck tournament, and finished as well 7th in the PL freeroll on pokerroom.

Pokerroom will not give me any hh as far as I know, but I can ask for the HH of the bigbuck tournament and send them to you if you like?