Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 03:37 AM

Default 1/2 LO8 - Missed Value Bet, or Got Lucky?

Hey guys, I've been trying to learn LO8 lately, and it's been somewhat rocky. This last hand I felt rather lost, but let me try and explain my reasoning... (Also, sorry for the pokerhand link, but I can't find a converter for O8, not even in the FAQ)

http://www.pokerhand.org/?417097

1. No reads on the players besides that the general lot seems rather donk-ish, 4-betting with bottom two and no other draws, going nuts with the nut low and no high in a multiway pot, etc. etc. Rather aggressive, but in a silly way.

2. Preflop: I figured this would be a good hand to see for cheap, and if I miss the flop, it's gone.

3. Flop: I was positive I'd be playing for half the pot if another low card came, that's a no brainer. However, the table had been aggressive, raising with low + flush draws, low + straight draws, etc. Facing no raise, I figured I was probably drawing to the boss flush, since it would be very likely for someone at the table to raise with AhXh if they had it.

4. Turn: I made my flush, but I knew I was only drawing at half the pot. If the action had been raised in front of me here, I would've dumped it. However, with everyone just calling, I figured I would go along for the ride. Here's where I get confused, however: I know I'm drawing at half the pot, but it's still profitable to continue to draw at half with this many people in, especially considering I'm 95% certain I have the nut high hand? Furthermore, since the table has shown a complete inability to fold low hands with no redraws, would it be correct to raise in this spot?

5. River: I wussed out in raising here, figuring someone could have been calling all the way here with some hand like 33, 55, or even 45. Should I have raised here, or kept it safe like I did and just called?

As always, thanks for the advice, and please, be my guest to rip apart my hand and tell me how awful I am! I need to get better at LO8, and I don't want anything sugarcoated.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:20 AM

Default Re: 1/2 LO8 - Missed Value Bet, or Got Lucky?

I play this hand the same way. If the turn would have made the low and wasn't a heart I would have folded the turn.

I'm never 95% certain I have the best flush with a K high in LO8. With that many seeing the flop it's probably closer to 60% than 95%. Just because it wasn't raised on the turn doesn't mean someone doesn't have the A high. Many people will wait until the river to raise.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:13 PM

Default Re: 1/2 LO8 - Missed Value Bet, or Got Lucky?

Full Ring, I fold the flop, but yeah
if your flush draw is good, you are
WAY ahead on this flop according to
twodimes. So, I guess grjr is right,
look for a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or high card
turn, if not fold. I would never raise
the K-High flush on a paired board on
the river with no low.