Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2006, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Giving the Wal-Mart Associate an \"Extra\" Tip. Got Advice?

Does the OP even have a question? Sounds more like a 2nd-hand trip report.

If the question is how to steal from Wal-Mart by tipping the floor worker, the answer is: do exactly what your friend did.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was just a story on a business show I was watching about Walmart and how there is now MASSIVE internal theft going on at Walmart. Walmart just announced that they will no longer prosecute anyone stealing under $25 becuause they need to focus on internal theft more. Let's face it folks, with the way Walmart treats it's employees they are getting what they deserve. They treat their employees the worst of almost any company in the US. Walmart is America's #1 corporate criminal. So if you want to buy something go to Costco if you want to steal something go to Walmart - 99.99% of the employees at Walmart don't give a flying frisbee what you do because of the way the company treats them and they will look the other way...

http://www.walmartwatch.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, sounds like modern day slavery to me. Oh, wait - Wal-Mart employees can quit if they don't like it.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Buddy of mine is a garbage man he is an honest guy and hard working. He tells me he often finds stuff in the garbage at places like Wal-Mart. Stuff like an X-box and other expensive items. He thought customers must return them to the store saying they did not work and asked for a refund. So he thinks the store gave the customer the money and got a refund for the item from Microsoft and threw them out. But just to be sure he took them home and tested them.

He was surprised to find out they worked fine. I told him that the staff there must hide stuff in the garbage till they get off work and then take it home for themselves or they sell it. He refuses to believe this theory, as he would never watch someone steal in this manner and not turn them in. Yet he feels it is ok for him to keep the items as he feels he found them!?! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I explained that even if his crazy theory is right he is still stealing from Microsoft but he does not or does not want to see the connection.

Sometimes we lie to ourselves so we can do stuff we know is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, it's in the trash. Up for grabs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is Correct. Once it hits the dumpster it is Public Domain.

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2006, 02:36 AM

Holy [censored]. I worked for Wal-Mart for a year and a half during my senior year of high school and frosh year of college, and never heard of anything like this. If it was possible, I would have definately done stuff like that for customers, but I don't see how they can get away with doing that, unless the mangers are complete morons. Everything was really closely tracked and they would complain all the time about stolen CDs and shirts, let alone furniture.

I'm assumimg my store was the norm, and not the exception, but I could be wrong.

Also, as for the garbage thing, I'm not sure how that works. At our store, at least, we would hold everything in the back until the claims (or whoever was in charge of that stuff) people shipped them back to the dealers. Of course, my store was a Sams Club, so it COULD be different, but it's owned by Wal-Mart, and is really just a Wal-mart with bulk cereal and 2 pound bags of apples.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Buddy of mine is a garbage man he is an honest guy and hard working. He tells me he often finds stuff in the garbage at places like Wal-Mart. Stuff like an X-box and other expensive items. He thought customers must return them to the store saying they did not work and asked for a refund. So he thinks the store gave the customer the money and got a refund for the item from Microsoft and threw them out. But just to be sure he took them home and tested them.

He was surprised to find out they worked fine. I told him that the staff there must hide stuff in the garbage till they get off work and then take it home for themselves or they sell it. He refuses to believe this theory, as he would never watch someone steal in this manner and not turn them in. Yet he feels it is ok for him to keep the items as he feels he found them!?! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I explained that even if his crazy theory is right he is still stealing from Microsoft but he does not or does not want to see the connection.

Sometimes we lie to ourselves so we can do stuff we know is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, it's in the trash. Up for grabs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is Correct. Once it hits the dumpster it is Public Domain.

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not correct. If it was stolen goods, and it was hidden in the dumpster after being stolen, it is not public domain. It is only for the public's taking if Walmart itself threw the trash out with the intent of abandoning the property. Otherwise its still possession of stolen property.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:44 AM

I've worked at america's most evil corporation (sarcasm)

I would accidently take returns from hardware outside the store all the time when assisting people from furniture (was next to hardware) Of course I returned them once i was done assisting but you get the idea

I think the most difficult part about catching thieves is that you can't even really prosecute a person until they've left the store with the item because catching a guy opening a box is HARDLY beyond reasonable doubt--and it takes a special kind of moron to try to leave without taking the cd out of the case, the game out of the box

add in the fact that the walmart I worked at had no security guard of which to speak and it was getting picked clean daily. They also foolishly had no censors blocking the bathrooms

There are no fewer than 5 knives a day stolen from the flanders NJ walmart, and those knives are used to open electronics.

one of my favorite stories was when a manager in training told me "you aren't walking that out without a sticker" So i tell the cashier I need one before I take this item to the customers car and he goes on to explain that there's no such thing as a sticker that needs to be put on expensive goods [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] laff

One thing I can say about our walmart though is that our greeter, although an old woman, is very quick and smart and watches you check out like an eagle without fail-- she likely is saving our wal-mart more money than we pay our top manager. she is in the lowest pay class
Old 07-19-2006, 03:00 AM

Rosie, that comment about an old, sharp, women, is dead on. We had about three door greeters, a middle aged man, a teenaged girl about my age, and a much older woman, and the old lady was notorious for catching door errors and shoplifters. She was also in the lowest pay class.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:04 AM

oh and the funniest thing ever are the subclasses of managers at this company...department manager, assistant manager, store manager, then district manager, then, above that, is "real person" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] haha

wal-mart is a circus. it's exploring uncharted territory in retail and has me rofling every day

oh and company policy : all raises for associates max out at 55 cents. I swear
Old 07-19-2006, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Walmart- The High Cost of Low Price can be downloaded from this page. It's almost halfway down the page. Just in case you're interested in becoming "hilarious".

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-19-2006, 06:58 AM

I worked at K-Mart when I was in high school. We used to have a guy who was a bit slow. Really hard worker though, with a young kid. Unfortunatly this thing used to happen all the time to him. He never knew it was happening. He just worked so fast that when someone would ask him to bring it out to their car he would. 99% of the time he did it without a tip. I'm pretty sure the word got out because a couple of times I would be working for him and would ask someone for their reciept when we were about to go out the door and they would act like they forgot or would then get to the register and claim they forgot their credit card.

We did steal alot of stuff in our day. Lots of food. The "extra long" box cutter into the Easter candy. The new toys that would come in, CDs, movies whatever. My favorite one was the time when two new massage chairs came in. The manager and I scan them and they come up $19.99. Scan them again $19.99. We each pick one up, put them on a flat bed walk up to the register. I now have a $200 massage chair.