Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 06:44 PM

Default HIV/AIDS

So have any of you looked into HIV/AIDS? I think all of us remember the fear when AIDS was first discovered in the 80s. I heard of a guy in my town committing suicide after finding out he was HIV positive.

Anyway, the more I read about it, the more it looks like this was a huge hoax. For example, why aren’t all prostitutes dead? Why has the number of people who are HIV positive remained at 1 million for over 25 year (in the US)? Why has no health care worker ever gotten AIDS from a needle stick but 1500/year get hepatitis? Did you know that it was determined that Kaposi’s Sarcoma (the disease that Tom Hanks had in Philadelphia) cannot be caused by HIV?

Anyway, I find this subject fascinating precisely because no one talks about it, or seems to know anything about it beyond sound-bites from celebrities.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:59 PM

Default Re: HIV/AIDS

Yeah, I've had the same experience when digging into it. The relation between the virus and the diseases are very unclear. The statistics about the spread of the virus of very weird. The behaviour of the virus in the West and Africa and completely different. You can basically only get it through blood transfusion (or parent child?); through sex it's like 0,5%. You die after 10 years, but somehow it's an epidemic in Africa, even though all children that have it should die from it before they bare children. The virus came out of nowhere in the 80's even though virusses all other virusses have been here for ages and come in waves. The doctor who proclaimed it at first is completely untrustworthy and prescribed the effects of it to a completely different problem before saying it was this virus. etc, etc.

The reason everything is unclear is largely due to government intervention. There are tons and tons of subsidies and medicinal regulation involved with these kind of things, so just like global warming, it's one big cloud of lies and corruption, and finding out the truth is extremely hard (you almost need to medical degree as you can't trust anyone).
Old 07-18-2006, 07:07 PM

According to The CDC as of 2002, 57 U.S. healthcare workers were known to have been infected with HIV occupationally. 26 of them went on to develop AIDS.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:16 PM

Dont shatter his illusions, speed. Real numbers and actual facts compromise his position.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So have any of you looked into HIV/AIDS? I think all of us remember the fear when AIDS was first discovered in the 80s. I heard of a guy in my town committing suicide after finding out he was HIV positive.

Anyway, the more I read about it, the more it looks like this was a huge hoax. For example, why aren’t all prostitutes dead? Why has the number of people who are HIV positive remained at 1 million for over 25 year (in the US)? Why has no health care worker ever gotten AIDS from a needle stick but 1500/year get hepatitis? Did you know that it was determined that Kaposi’s Sarcoma (the disease that Tom Hanks had in Philadelphia) cannot be caused by HIV?

Anyway, I find this subject fascinating precisely because no one talks about it, or seems to know anything about it beyond sound-bites from celebrities.

[/ QUOTE ]
My fiance worked in an enormous public hospital in south africa for several years. The HIV rate on admissions there was something horrific (like 70-80%) and she saw many people die as a result.

The obvious answer to "Why arent all the prostitutes dead yet?" is probably as simple as "The ones that have died have been replaced". Similarly, in Africa, many die but there are many births. It is an observable fact that there exist communities with predominately grandparents and kids - where the 20-50yo population has been decimated by AIDS.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, the more I read about it, the more it looks like this was a huge hoax. For example, why aren’t all prostitutes dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Prostitutes have a very low incidence of STD. The idea that prostitutes are "dirty" is, indeed, a big hoax.

[ QUOTE ]
Why has the number of people who are HIV positive remained at 1 million for over 25 year (in the US)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that true? I thought it was about 400,000. Where do you get your info? Whatever the number is, it's unsurprising if it's fairly stable. It's not getting higher because of limited transmission vectors and safe sex. It's not getting lower because, to paraphrase Phil, people are still having unsafe buttsex. But I don't know that it is stable, back this up.

[ QUOTE ]
Why has no health care worker ever gotten AIDS from a needle stick but 1500/year get hepatitis?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? Sounds interesting. No health care worker has ever gotten HIV from a needle? And 1500 per year contract hepatitis in the US? I think you're full of [censored], frankly.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No one talks about it? Where do you live? Who's your friend?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:13 PM

It's really unfair to posters like this to point them to readily accessable sources of information to dispel their delusions. It ruins their fun.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:11 AM

Wow.

Citations?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
According to The CDC as of 2002, 57 U.S. healthcare workers were known to have been infected with HIV occupationally. 26 of them went on to develop AIDS.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, do you understand what AIDS is? It is a list of a few dozen pre-existing diseases (pneumonia, cancer, wasting disease, etc.) that occur in the presence of HIV antibodies . 26 people in 26 years could easily be explained by the natural occurrence of these diseases. 26 is a vanishingly small number.

[ QUOTE ]
My fiance worked in an enormous public hospital in south africa for several years. The HIV rate on admissions there was something horrific (like 70-80%) and she saw many people die as a result.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did your fiance administer HIV antibodies tests? The majority of AIDS cases in Africa (maybe not South Africa) are diagnosed based on symptoms only, so all infection rates and AIDS deaths are estimates.

[ QUOTE ]
Is that true? I thought it was about 400,000. Where do you get your info? Whatever the number is, it's unsurprising if it's fairly stable. It's not getting higher because of limited transmission vectors and safe sex. It's not getting lower because, to paraphrase Phil, people are still having unsafe buttsex. But I don't know that it is stable, back this up.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very difficult to find clear information. Try finding a chart showing how many people are HIV positive by year. Wiki indicates that 1 million are living with HIV in the US. Here’s a link that indicates in 1989, there were 1 million with HIV.

It’s surprising that it’s stable. HIV is supposed to be a “new” virus, and new viruses always follow the same bell-shaped infection rate: exponential growth until natural immunity kicks in, and then rapid decline. A constant number of people living with HIV indicate HIV is not the cause of AIDS.

[ QUOTE ]
Why has no health care worker ever gotten AIDS from a needle stick but 1500/year get hepatitis?

[ QUOTE ]
No health care worker has ever gotten HIV from a needle?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very interesting. I said no health care worker ever got AIDS , and you say HIV. This indicates the level of confusion of the issue. But yes, I guess technically 1/year has gotten AIDS from needle-sticks.

[ QUOTE ]
No one talks about it? Where do you live? Who's your friend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um… looking something up on the internet is not “talking” about it. When I talk to people about AIDS, most have very little understanding about what it is, who gets infected, etc. Most are mildly worried that Africa’s population is going to die out, but happy that we’ve controlled it here through AZT.

Lastly, do you know of any other disease that reports it’s deaths as a cumulative total? I find that weird.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:42 AM

Have you visited the CDC's website at all?