Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 03:58 PM

Default preflop equity ????

i am a little confused about preflop equity in corelation to position and how many players are already in and what hand i have. my post flop play is ok but how to get that xtra edge preflop i hear is very important. any posts of any kind would help
Old 07-18-2006, 03:59 PM

Default Re: preflop equity ????

like if im on the button and there are lets say 5 limpers already should i raise on the button with aq off or how ab out that same hand in the bb
Old 07-18-2006, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am a little confused about preflop equity in corelation to position and how many players are already in and what hand i have. my post flop play is ok but how to get that xtra edge preflop i hear is very important. any posts of any kind would help

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, perhaps against popular opinion, I raise AQo in an unraised pot in any position with any number of limpers. In the blinds against 5 limpers, AQo is about 26% to win. You're getting 6 bets for every 1 you put in the pot. You have way more than your fair share of equity here, more than enough to overcome the disadvantage of your position..
Old 07-18-2006, 04:56 PM

Your preflop equity is just the percentage of times that your hand would be best if all the cards were dealt out without any betting. The same as using Pokerstove.

You use you preflop equity by balancing it with your position, opponents, the betting before you, etc., to determine your preflop actions.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, perhaps against popular opinion, I raise AQo in an unraised pot in any position with any number of limpers. In the blinds against 5 limpers, AQo is about 26% to win. You're getting 6 bets for every 1 you put in the pot. You have way more than your fair share of equity here, more than enough to overcome the disadvantage of your position..

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Actually, I think you are among the majority.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Actually, I think you are among the majority.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty standard. I reraise AQo in good position often.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:34 PM

so i guess my next ? is how do you determine what your percentage to win is givin the number of players. like for instance what is my chance to win again 3 limpers or just 2 how do you figure that out.

thanks again
Old 07-18-2006, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so i guess my next ? is how do you determine what your percentage to win is givin the number of players. like for instance what is my chance to win again 3 limpers or just 2 how do you figure that out.

thanks again

[/ QUOTE ]

phosix, worrying about stuff like this when you're starting out is probably not the most efficient use of your time. Most vets of the game will say to pick a standard pre-flop strategy, like the SSH pre-flop charts, deviate a bit as you develop a better understanding of the pre-flop game, but focus on your postflop game. The reason for this is that a lot of time and research has gone into those recommendations, and debates about minor deviations relate to a fairly small difference in your long term winrate. The biggest challenges, which can't be summarised in charts, are the ones faced post-flop, particularly on the turn and river. That is where the most money is to be won and lost, assuming a solid pre-flop strategy.