Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 07:57 AM

Default Invited to a \"Serious\" League with crappy scoring system. My Play?

My wife's friend's husband calls me up the other day and says that he wants to start a "serious" keeper league for FFB. So I tell him it depends on the draft day because I have three other leagues. He works it out so that I can attend the draft. I agree to be in the league. Sends me the e-mail with the league and I see this is the scoring system:

Passing Yards (50 yards per point; 3 points at 300 yards)
Passing Touchdowns (6)
Interceptions (-2)
Rushing Yards (20 yards per point; 3 points at 100 yards)
Rushing Touchdowns (6)
Reception Yards (20 yards per point; 3 points at 100 yards)
Reception Touchdowns (6)
2-Point Conversions (2)
Fumbles Lost (-2)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (3)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (3)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Sack (1)
Interception (2)
Fumble Recovery (2)
Touchdown (6)
Safety (2)
Block Kick (2)
Return Yards (20 yards per point; 3 points at 100 yards)
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)
Points Allowed 0 points (10)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (7)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (4)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (1)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (0)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-1)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-4)

The obvious problem to me being the 6 points for a pssing TD which overvalues the QB. And the point per 20 yards of return makes bad teams kick returners worth huge points. You would be shocked at how many points a good kick returner can score with that scoring.

Now should I

a)Mention I don't like the scoring and try and get it changed?

b) Say nothing work with my knowlege and try and trade up and target Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer and take Jerome Mathis in the fourth round as my first wide-out?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Invited to a \"Serious\" League with crappy scoring system. My Play?

Other then the bonus points for 300 & 100 yards, this is pretty much the Yahoo Standard Scoring System, which IMO is a pretty fair system.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Invited to a \"Serious\" League with crappy scoring system. My Play?

6 point TDs is better.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6 point TDs is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the exception of Shawn Alexander who set the record for most touchdowns in a season with 28, which was still less than the amount of touchdowns that Carson Palmer threw and the same amount as Peyton Manning. The second running back for total TDs was Larry Johnson with 21. Which is just one more than Brett Favre and Kerry Collins had and they tied for the 10th most by a QB.

The point is that Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning are far more valuable in that scoring system than a Larry Johnson or LT. And even guys like Matt Hasselbeck, Tom Brady and Jake Delhomme are a better bet than most running backs. Maybe I'm just used to leagues where running backs are the most valuable commodity.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6 point TDs is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the exception of Shawn Alexander who set the record for most touchdowns in a season with 28, which was still less than the amount of touchdowns that Carson Palmer threw and the same amount as Peyton Manning. The second running back for total TDs was Larry Johnson with 21. Which is just one more than Brett Favre and Kerry Collins had and they tied for the 10th most by a QB.

The point is that Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning are far more valuable in that scoring system than a Larry Johnson or LT. And even guys like Matt Hasselbeck, Tom Brady and Jake Delhomme are a better bet than most running backs. Maybe I'm just used to leagues where running backs are the most valuable commodity.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have literally no clue about fantasy football if you think this rule makes QBs more valuable than RBs.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:07 AM

Sluss,

I see what you are saying. But if you look at the numbers other then Palmer and Peyton (who are FF 1st Round Talents anyway) almost all of the rest of the QB's are withing 10-15 points of each other using the above scoring system. The rest of those QB's are so close to each other that you can still wait till much later in the draft to select them.

There is a much wider disparity when comparing Running Backs. Also you are probably only going to start 1 QB, while starting 2-3 Running Backs.

So RB's are still the most valuable commodity and should be drafted as such. The way you draft won't really change.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6 point TDs is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have literally no clue about fantasy football if you think this rule makes QBs more valuable than RBs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be nice and explain it to him a little bit. It isn't about total points; it's about points above average at that position.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6 point TDs is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Sluss,
We have an open spot in our league, and you seem like a really cool guy who would be a quality addition to our league.

You should join up!
Old 07-18-2006, 04:16 PM

What I am saying is that it overvalues the position.

Peyton Manning averaged 16+ points a game
Ladainian Tomlinson averaged almost 14 points a game

Neither one had a great season last year, but I wasn't in a single league where Manning averaged more than LT.

I of course do understand the idea that there are fewer running backs depth wise when your picking two. I'm also probably underestimating the fact that completions will not count towards the scoring. Of course then again, neither will receptions.

Meh, I guess I should do some math, turns out it is pretty close. Because a bad week for the QB or the running back can result in just a horrible scoring week.

Maybe, I'm just used to two years ago when the guy who had Manning in a league I was in with a 6 point passing touchdowns had him scoring between 30 and 40 every week and was driving me insane. It was a straight points league and I could never catch the guy despite having the far superior team at every other position. While in my other leagues with 4 point passing TDs the guy with Manning was not as dominate and didn't even make the playoffs in one.

So maybe I'm just bitter from a bad experience. This will force me to go do a bunch more calculations. Thank god for the football guys spreadsheet.

Edited to say: I'm an idiot. Turns out that when I was in a league with kick returners they were getting 1 point for every 10 yards. Big difference from 20. This will teach me to make posts when I am at work in the morning.