Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 10:18 AM

Default K9s raising every street

WPEX 1/2 5-max

First orbit, and I have no reads.

Pre-Flop: I have K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP.
UTG Limps, I raise, fold, SB calls, fold, UTG 3-bets, I call, SB calls

Flop (10 SB): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB donks, UTG raises, I 3-bet, SB folds, UTG caps, I call

Turn (9.5 BB): 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
UTG bets, I raise, UTG calls

River (13.5 BB): A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
UTG bets, I raise intending to call a 3-bet
Old 07-18-2006, 10:20 AM

Default Re: K9s raising every street

I wouldn't 3-bet the flop here. Getting it HU with UTG who always has a better hand is less than optimal.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:30 AM

why did you 3-bet the flop?
Old 07-18-2006, 10:55 AM

My flop 3-bet was primarily an attempt to earn a free card on the turn. If I miss the turn, my equity will be less than 20%, and I do not want to pay 1 - 4 big bets to see the river.

SB folding probably makes the 3-bet incorrect as it kills my flop equity, but how often is the SB donking into two players that raised pre-flop with a hand that cannot call a 3-bet? I did not expect SB to fold. Bad assumption?

-Andrew
Old 07-18-2006, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My flop 3-bet was primarily an attempt to earn a free card on the turn. If I miss the turn, my equity will be less than 20%, and I do not want to pay 1 - 4 big bets to see the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is wrong and will rarely work for you. You are forgetting about the implied odds you gain by getting a raise in the times you do hit your flush vs. 2 players on the turn or river. Thats a big difference, EV wise.

-Caddy
Old 07-18-2006, 12:11 PM

But if you coldcall 2 on this flop you basically scream flushdraw and will often be checked to on the turn, especially at the 1/2 level. I don't mind mixing up my play here and sometimes 3 betting and sometimes cold calling.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are forgetting about the implied odds you gain by getting a raise in the times you do hit your flush

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure about that because it's harder to put you on a flush draw if you 3-bet this flop.
Coldcalling definitely screams flush draw and will kill all action on the turn if it hits.

Plus, sometimes free card stuff works too.

I like the flop 3-bet.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:05 PM

I cold call the flop. From the action it's very likely one of them has an A. It's very unlikely you'll steal this pot. You're possibly going to be pushing the SB out of the hand, and possibly getting capped by UTG, therefore the raise wont be for value either. Losing a customer does not compensate for a chance at saving a small bet if you take a free card either.
You're cold call does indicate that you either have an ace with a good kicker or a flush draw, so people will be weary when a club hits. But I think having two opponents vs one more than compensates for that.

If SB has 2-pair, he may 3 bet anyway, and then you can cap, It won't quite be for value, but you're more likely to keep UTG around now if he hits something good on the turn.

River, Im leaning back and forth between call and raise but I think id call.

His action up to the river was a little strong for AK/AQ/AJ , which indicates TT, AA or AT. This is a situation that is read dependent though, some people get hyper agressive ignoring the situation when they have trips or better. If it were this type of opponent id definitly raise.
Im guessing it's kind of like 60/40 more likely AK/AQ/AJ, but the fact you'll get 3 bet makes it a close call imo.