Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 01:00 AM

Default 88 UTG against overcard board

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

I am new to 6-max so here goes!

Both players seem a bit loose passive.
Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

Is the turn just a fold or should it just make me go into calldown mode? How terrible did I play this one?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:05 AM

Default Re: 88 UTG against overcard board

I'm folding the turn here. If you later find out he's an agro spaz ball who likes to donk scare cards and semibluff flush draws then you can call down.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:58 AM

Probably fold the turn, definitely fold the river. If he picked up a flush or straight draw on the turn, it just came in. If he was donking with the nut Diamond draw or an Ace-high straight draw that didn't come in, he still hit his Ace.

Edit: Oops, thought Ace was on the river. Doesn't really change anything. 88 != good often enough to call.

SpaceAce
Old 07-18-2006, 06:36 AM

with no reads, its hard to say. Why did this guy wake up and start donking you on the turn? This makes me suspicious if a tricky, aggressive player does this, because if the ace did really improve their hand, they would have tried to check raise. If they are capable of bluffing a scare card or a draw, it might be worth a call down. If a weak player, who rarely bluffs did this, most likely they had a 2 or a 7 on the flop, and they made two pair on the turn, so they bet. Against this type of player, you should never call down with a weak holding like this.

With no reads, like I said, its very tough to say. I would probably fold the turn in a small pot (pot&lt;5bb), and call down in a large one (pot &gt;5bb).
Old 07-18-2006, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with no reads, its hard to say. Why did this guy wake up and start donking you on the turn? This makes me suspicious if a tricky, aggressive player does this, because if the ace did really improve their hand, they would have tried to check raise. If they are capable of bluffing a scare card or a draw, it might be worth a call down. If a weak player, who rarely bluffs did this, most likely they had a 2 or a 7 on the flop, and they made two pair on the turn, so they bet. Against this type of player, you should never call down with a weak holding like this.

With no reads, like I said, its very tough to say. I would probably fold the turn in a small pot (pot&lt;5bb), and call down in a large one (pot &gt;5bb).

[/ QUOTE ]

In a 5bb pot you are getting 6:2 on the call down, in a 4bb pot you are getting 5:2 on the calldown.

Do you think hero wins here without improvement (and with the chance of villains improvement) enough to be a 28% favourite but not enough to be a 34% favourite?

True
Old 07-18-2006, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably fold the turn, definitely fold the river. If he picked up a flush or straight draw on the turn, it just came in.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i decide to look him up and call the turn, i fold the the river. now he is at least paired.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In a 5bb pot you are getting 6:2 on the call down, in a 4bb pot you are getting 5:2 on the calldown.

Do you think hero wins here without improvement (and with the chance of villains improvement) enough to be a 28% favourite but not enough to be a 34% favourite?

True

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I didn't say greater than or equal to... lol, so maybe tie goes to folding when it is 5bb. Plus your math assumes that the villain bets out on the river.

But I think at around 6bb or more, it is a profitable calldown, with the remote chance of improving or having the best hand. I would guess that this guy took down this pot, since he posted it, and the villain turned over some strange holding. Still, in a small pot like this I think its a fold, but when the pot is bigger, its a profitable call down, but as was pointed out, its difficult to make the exact distinction between a small and large pot. Use common sense, and if in doubt, I would say call down. There are three reasons for that... 1) it gives you information on your opponent that you had no read on, and 2) For metagame. You give out the message that you are unbluffable, that you will call down with weak holdings, and this could prevent or reduce bluffing in the future.
3) You could win the pot.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Probably fold the turn, definitely fold the river. If he picked up a flush or straight draw on the turn, it just came in.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i decide to look him up and call the turn, i fold the the river. now he is at least paired.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean that he is at least paired? What makes you say this?