Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 02:32 AM

Default Strange AK Hand

UTG raiser: 44/6/1.4. He has only raised three hands thus far. AKs UTG+1, JJ from MP, and 97o on a steal. Same amount each time. Has C-bet every time he has raised and has bet the flop if first in the vast majority of the time. Don't have a good read on him on turn and beyond.

MP caller is 19/7/4.4. Only non-blind hand I have seen he limped 10-8s UTG. Has cold called a few times with position. Is aggressive post-flop if checked to, but generally has shut down if led into.

I checked the flop initially with the intent of raising UTG's C-bet. When he checked I wasn't sure what to make of it. MP's raise didn't concern me too much but I elected to just call (mistake #1?) thinking that if UTG had a big hand, he would re-pop with two callers or he would give up post flop. If he gave up, I had planned to lead the turn with a pot sized bet. When he just called I was lost. I checked to him on the turn where he made a pretty small bet. Weak lead or value? I called wanting to evaluate the river with the intent of check calling a reasonable bet if no diamond fell. When he overbet the river, I had no idea what to make of it? I hated to fold thinking that there was no way this was a value bet (How often does a generic villian overbet with a strong hand here?). In the end I didn't think it was worth it to be wrong. Did I fold a winner here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP ($57.20)
CO ($99.90)
Button ($238.10)
Hero ($86.75)
BB ($142.25)
UTG ($68.40)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $3</font>, MP calls $3, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $2.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($10) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3, UTG calls $3.

Turn: ($19) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $6</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $6.

River: ($31) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $53</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $84
Old 07-18-2006, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Strange AK Hand

This is not a very good flop to get fancy with. In general, making TPTK with AK isn't a good spot to get fancy. What do you want to happen when you check raise? You want UTG to fold AT? Just bet 8, take control of the hand, and get called down by Ax.

As played, you really need to raise that turn bet. I'm ok with the river fold, but don't ever get yourself in a spot like that.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:49 AM

I think this is an easy fold preflop. UTG's PFR is 1.4% - you are crushed by his range here. Don't let the fact that he once raised a garbage hand affect your judgment.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:56 AM

PreFlop is fine. tho some will say you need to 3bet.

lead the flop.

as played, definitely fold the river, hell show 2pair or better a lot of the time. i dont know whats going on with his bets.

I dont know why you played this so passively, if i were playing against you I would have put you on a FD.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is an easy fold preflop. UTG's PFR is 1.4% - you are crushed by his range here. Don't let the fact that he once raised a garbage hand affect your judgment.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking was that if his range is AK, 1010+ I am a 60/40 dog but am getting 3:1 on the call closing the action. Throw AQ and KQs in and I am a slight favorite.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats his post flop aggression, his PFR is 6% which means hes still pretty tight but not nearly as tight as 1.4 would suggest.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PreFlop is fine. tho some will say you need to 3bet.

lead the flop.

as played, definitely fold the river, hell show 2pair or better a lot of the time. i dont know whats going on with his bets.

I dont know why you played this so passively, if i were playing against you I would have put you on a FD.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really was asking my self this same question when looking over the session. All I really have is that something didn't smell right based on what I had seen so far. I know thats about the most LC response I can give but its what "felt" right at the time. From what I had seen thus far I had villians UTG range as 1010+ and Ak (id say AQs is a possibility, but maybe half as likely as AK), I really doubted he would bet that much with a set on the river. That being the case I felt like I was ahead of the rest of his range. Do you guys ever see an overbet like that as a wierd value bet?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats his post flop aggression, his PFR is 6% which means hes still pretty tight but not nearly as tight as 1.4 would suggest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I misread the PT stats, obviously. However, even with the 6% PFR, I still think the call is marginal. UTG, he's raising maybe 4% of his hands: 99+, AK, AQs. Calling with big offsuit cards here is nothing but reverse implied odds.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:10 AM

I disagree, im at the very least calling here all the time.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:38 AM

After you checked the flop, he is betting pretty wierd amounts, so I don't know about a c/r to bloat the pot on the flop. I think a turn lead will allow you to get out if he raises. I think he would put you on a draw or lower 2 pair (if he has AQ), and if he has 2-pr or a set, he will raise here thinking you wont let go - and you can safetly fold there.

Also, UTG is pretty passive, so I think leading all post flop streets might be a better way here to extract value from your decieptively played AK hand.