Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Movie Incongruities/Lucky Coincidences

Everytime the villian explains his plan to the hero before he attempts to kill him in some diabolical way is one of the most ridiculous for me.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:27 PM

Princess Bride.

Wesley gets captured and put onto that medievel machine to have his life sucked away one year at a time.

Why not just, you know, kill him until he dies from it?
Old 07-17-2006, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Princess Bride.

Wesley gets captured and put onto that medievel machine to have his life sucked away one year at a time.

Why not just, you know, kill him until he dies from it?

[/ QUOTE ]

not as much fun/evil as torturing him until he dies from it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2006, 12:10 AM

Oh yeah, Minority Report.

Tom Cruise/John Anderton (or whatever) goes on that trip to see the chick with the plants that bite. This whole part really bogged down the movie, but he ended up scoring some fresh "non-detectable" eyeballs. So then he goes back to get the seer chick and enters the facility WITH HIS OLD EYES.

Now I'm no security expert, but if one of our own had turned against us, jet-packed his way around town making a mockery of our security staff, pozzed a well-dressed Colin Farrell in the process and caused general upheaval, well then I'd probably revoke his access to the building. But yet after all of this he was able to use his old retinas to get to the seers, THIS DIDN'T SET OFF ANY ALARMS, and he escaped to a taxi or whatever the hell it was.

Obviously the whole movie regarded a suspension of disbelief, but when a movie is supposed to take place in the future, the security measures shouldn't be from forty years ago...
Old 07-18-2006, 01:18 AM

Crash probably deserves a mention in a thread about movie coincidences. The two that come to mind for me are:

-Matt Dillon being on the scene of Thandie Newton's car accident after molesting her a few days earlier
-The whole subplot with the blanks in the shop owner's gun, especially if the daughter picked the blanks by accident. (I'm not sure if she did or not).

I guess coincidences can be used for good in a movie, but these two took away from the film for me.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:28 AM

The blanks in the gun were intentional - the daughter loaded the blanks knowing her father couldn't read the label on the ammo. It was her way of winning the "no gun" argument.

The Dillion / Newton coincidence certainly fits though.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:34 AM

The ring not going into the Thames in Match Point...
Old 07-18-2006, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm new to this forum, if this has been recently done please lock/delete/ban me. Thanks.

In the Die Hard thread, someone mentioned how very helpful it was to the plot that in DH2 that it was snowing/dark. Yeah, good point as it was sort of necessary to pull off a plan that they had a very tight deadline for.

Also, in the movie The Fugitive, Dr. Nichols helping out Dr. Kimble with money, not turning him in, etc., aided the plot but it made no sense at all as it just allowed Kimble more time to build his case against...Dr. Nichols.

Dunno, I'm sure there are many others but I thought I'd be interested in any participation/examples. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Similarly, in MI:3 when Tom Cruise swings from one building to another in Shanghai. At the end of his swing, he detaches the harness and falls onto the building's roof. Instead of going flying with his momentum carrying him past the building and onto the Shanghai streets, he lands straight down. Of course, he could have detached the rope at his exact apex but that would require a near-godly reaction time and awareness of his momentum plus instant responsiveness from his release mechanism. That isn't as bad as the Die Hard one, but it bothered me.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Game might be up there with Independence Day for ridiculous Incongruities/Lucky Coincidences. That ending basically ruined the movie for me.

Also just fyi his driveway - is an access road that runs alond the edge of the Presidio at Divisidaro (I think, or maybe Masonic). There is no estate like that in SF proper obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to remember at the very end, someone jokes to Michael Douglas's character that had he not jumped at that exact spot, he would have had to push him off.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The blanks in the gun were intentional - the daughter loaded the blanks knowing her father couldn't read the label on the ammo. It was her way of winning the "no gun" argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't the EV of this worse than letting her dad have real bullets?