Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 05:44 PM

Default My first post - a hello and a small question

Hey everyone - thought I'd get on the wagon of 2+2!

Been reading for a little while - playing poker for longer... Started off playing live, soon moved to online and been there ever since.

I'm started off at $0.25/$0.5 and cleaned up right from the word go. Moved up to $0.5/$1 and then got beat/run break even for quite a while. Just recently moved back down and i'm back to winning [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] (aren't we all?! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

Anyways - thought I'd start posting on here so here's a quick heads up to say hi..

Also - two questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced this when moving between 50NL and 100NL? Imho I think I play pretty well (TAG) but obviously we all do... I seem to consistently make money at 50 but as soon as I move up I get beat up. Maybe I don't know how to play against the more aggressive competition - advice anyone? Don't have any specific hands to show but I'll try dig some out.

2. I'm currently playing at Interpoker for a few reasons (like the graphics better - no people, rakeback and monthly bonuses). I've heard all the fish are at Party though - should I be over there?

Thanks and hello all!

Tom
Old 07-17-2006, 05:54 PM

Default Re: My first post - a hello and a small question

I experience that exact problem in terms of moving up. I would also like an explanation.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I experience that exact problem in terms of moving up. I would also like an explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the most plausible explanation is that I have some serious leaks which I need to plug, but since there are a decent amound of fish at the lower limit I can cover them up... Dunno. Or maybe I just happened to run bad...

Anyone?

T
Old 07-17-2006, 06:03 PM

I'm not sure if it'll help but there are a couple of things I'll do which seem to make transitions to higher levels easier. First, I find I make most of my money on Friday and Saturday nights when there are a bunch of drunks online spewing money. I'll take a shot on one of those nights to hopefully get my confidence going. Second, if I'm multitabling, I'll typically play one table of the higher limit and three of my normal limit. It helps me a little get over the discomfort of playing for more money because I'm not paying as much attention.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:05 PM

Tom,

What sample size is telling you you're a winner at 50, and what sample size is telling you you're a loser at 100?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:06 PM

I haven't played at interpoker but at the sites I play at there really isn't much of a difference from NL50 to NL100. Maybe a few more pf raises but that's it. Are you sure you are playing the exact same way? Maybe you are still not comfortable playing for 100$ in one hand and holding back sometimes.
I know I've had that problem when trying to play at a higher level.
example
today I tried playing a bit at 2/4 when I have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB and button limps
flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I lead and button raises.
at Nl50 or Nl100 I would just move my stack in and feel happy about it. But this time I figured I haven't lost much and went ahead and folded. this is not good
Old 07-17-2006, 06:09 PM

Hi Tom,

Welcome.

I think my main problem when i move up is that i try too hard, think too much and assume i'm sitting at a table full of bad_ips, Mahatma's and loloTRICKEDu's. Then i try and outplay people and fail miserably, i need to learn to play my own game and trust my skills rather than get involved in fancy play syndrome. I think confidence has a huge part to play in it.

Or maybe i just suck.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tom,

What sample size is telling you you're a winner at 50, and what sample size is telling you you're a loser at 100?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't have my PT stats on this computer but from memory I think it's about 7-8k at 50 and 3-4k at 100....

I'm running about 5-6PTBB/100 at 50 and a small loss/100 at 100 (but there was a tilt 'incident' which I'm praying to god won't happen again - without that I was a small (like 0.7PTBB/100) winner at 100)

I think I'm playing the same game - I just find my c-bets are being called a lot more. People tend to re-raise the turn a lot more... I dunno, a lot of it's feel..

It's not like i'm losing a lot of money at the 100 level, just don't seem to be able to put together a winning streak. I know sample sizes are small and all but the past week i've moved down to 50 and i'm instantly back to winning lots....

Thanks for the advice all!

T
Old 07-17-2006, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tom,

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't have my PT stats on this computer but from memory I think it's about 7-8k at 50 and 3-4k at 100....

I'm running about 5-6PTBB/100 at 50 and a small loss/100 at 100 (but there was a tilt 'incident' which I'm praying to god won't happen again - without that I was a small (like 0.7PTBB/100) winner at 100)

I think I'm playing the same game - I just find my c-bets are being called a lot more. People tend to re-raise the turn a lot more... I dunno, a lot of it's feel..

It's not like i'm losing a lot of money at the 100 level, just don't seem to be able to put together a winning streak. I know sample sizes are small and all but the past week i've moved down to 50 and i'm instantly back to winning lots....

Thanks for the advice all!

T

[/ QUOTE ]

3-4K bad hands is a bad day/2 days for a lot of folks. The sample sizes are small, but are you playing similarly at both levels? (VPIP, PFR, WSD etc). It sounds like you're either running bad, playing a bit scared or maybe sat at some tough tables. I haven't noticed much of a difference at NL50 and NL100 (although I also have a small sample size at NL 100, ~5K hands)