Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 08:50 AM

Default $5.50 SnG, playing high pocket pairs early on

I had trouble in the first 2 hands of a SnG which where quite similar, I could use some advice:

Blinds 5/10, stacks 1000
i'm holding Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG+1 raises to 20, 2 calls, me on the BB raises to 100 and only UTG+1 calls

flop comes 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] pot is now 245

I bet 150 to see if i can take the pot but UTG+1 raises to 300 and i fold

========================
The hand after i hold J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the SB.
UTG limps, UTG+1 raises to 50, I raise to 150 and both call.

flop comes 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] pot is now 460

I check to see if i can get any info. UTG checks, but UTG+1 bets 100 which i find pretty weak so i move all in for my last 600 and lose to AK

================================

next SnG I pick up QQ again as my first hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] this time in UTQ+2.

I want to raise to 40 first in and accidently raise to 20 instead but the person right behind me raises to 75 so that is alright.
The BB in turn raises to 130. Now i raise to 400 and both players go all in and I call.

They turn over JJ and AQ but I lose to 2 jacks on the flop.

=============================

How am I handling these high pairs? I'm probably not playing them perfectly, so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Re: $5.50 SnG, playing high pocket pairs early on

The first problem I have is that I don't consider QQ & JJ high pairs, esp JJ. Example one is played o.k I would have raised more preflop like around 150, then bet ~3/4 the pot on the flop. And occasionally I won't give up on this hand so quickly. People bluff alot. Hand 2 is horrible, why build such a big pot preflop when a flop you don't like will come more than half the time. I would have called preflop then check folded flop. Hand 3 is fine, except I would raise more preflop like 6-10bb level 1.