Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2006, 07:57 AM

Default Encrypted emails - Expert opinions needed

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but I couldnt find one that seemed like a better place. Anyway I'm in need of an encrypted email service and I honestly have no idea where to even begin. Basically the purpose of the account is that I need to be able to send and receive confidential legal documents.

What I found so far are:

http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/of.../default-e.asp

http://www.ziplip.com/products/ZLSecureMessaging.html

https://www.hushmail.com/

The Canada Post service is the "safest" bet in that it's security is guaranteed by the Canada Post Act, but it's also very expensive relative to other options. The high cost is actually prohibitive, and I really need another option.

Are either of the other comparable to the Canada Post service? or are they not nearly as secure. I'm clueless as to how they differ and it's important that whatever option I choose is secure because of the fact it will be confidential legal documents that I'm transferring. Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this subject for me.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Encrypted emails - Expert opinions needed

How much control do you have over the other end of this communication? Can you just use PGP with a normal mail-client (Outlook, etc.)?
-Sam
Old 07-16-2006, 07:58 PM

I would suggest getting a program like PGP or TrueCrypt. Both are free and should work just fine for what you want. Do a Google search for both those applications. PGP has a freeware version still available but it might take a Google search to find it. There is a TON of info out there on both programs. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2006, 08:39 PM

PGP isn't a program, right? It's a encryption scheme. You can implement it in bunches of mail-clients; likely (or at least hopefully) the OP can just patch his current app.
-Sam
Old 07-16-2006, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PGP isn't a program, right? It's a encryption scheme. You can implement it in bunches of mail-clients; likely (or at least hopefully) the OP can just patch his current app.
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

It is actually (a program) however the OpenPG standard is based off it. I personally use GnuPG on both Linux (via mutt) and Windows (Thunderbird -> Enigmail plugin.)