Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 05:05 AM

Default Middle Pair from the BB

I usually play NL SNGs but I'd like to learn how to actually play postflop poker, so I've started playing some limit again. I've read SSHE but I still feel like I'm a losing 1/2 player. I don't have any reads on the villain in this hand. Is my thinking ok or am I spewing chips?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Betting out is standard here, right? I'm not getting immediate odds to call the raise with five outs, but I think implied odds make the call ok.

Turn: (4 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

I picked up four more outs, so this call should be ok too.

River: (6 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks

I didn't improve, so I assume I have to fold if villain bets. I would be surprised if I'm good here 1/7 times, but I don't have a lot of experience.

Edit: I've been informed that betting out was awful and I now understand why, so you don't need to worry about that.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Middle Pair from the BB

I wouldn't bet a pair of 4s into 4 opponents. It may be 2nd pair now, but it's not gonna stay 2nd pair for long. I think I check that flop, and see how many SB are in there when it comes back to me. You shooting at a 5-outer, so I'd peel one if there's 7-8 SB when it comes back to me, otherwise you're fighting over beans.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Middle Pair from the BB

I wouldnt bet into 5 players with bottom pair. You are unlikely to have the best hand and unlikely to win the pot with your bet so I would check/call and fold if it was raised by the time it got back to me.

Turn is ok but its close in my opinion.

I check/fold the river.