Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2006, 01:48 AM

Default Re: 1k to 10k. A simple project.

[ QUOTE ]
I dropped 50 buyins once. It was at the 215s though which has slightly more variance than the 22s.

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2006, 01:51 AM

Whether or not 50 buyins is enough or not is up to your tolerance for risk, but those who think it is impossible to go on a huge downswing without having problems in your game are simply wrong.

Last month, I went through a 40 buyin downswing at the $22 speeds over 4 days. So, this was at a level that I am beating for 22% ROI over 3000 tournaments.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:57 AM

i had a 65 buyin downswing in 6 days at the 11s... i've beaten them for 20% over more than 1000... its possible I suck and have been running good for 6 months...

its also possible OP sucks... who knows.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I've been running really well for over a year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not, however my comment was not directed solely at you. You still seem to underestimate how easy it is to have a very large downswing even at the 22's. One bad downswing(20 buyins) plus a little bit of tilt is enough to get almost there. If you start out with 50 buyins, drop 15 do you still feel really comfortable playing the same level? Will it affect your play? What if you lose another 10?

[ QUOTE ]
Cmon. If you drop 50 buyins at the 22s there are some serious problems in your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again you seem to underestimate just how volatile a game this is. If you have a 50 buyin drop at the 22's yes it is likely you have some holes in your game, but not necessarily very big ones.

[ QUOTE ]
Although, you seem to be a $11 pro so let me know where I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to be an ass. You even admitted that I was right and a 50 buyin drop is possible, you just seem to think it is much more likely due to bad play than normal fluctuations.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

No need to be an ass. You even admitted that I was right and a 50 buyin drop is possible, you just seem to think it is much more likely due to bad play than normal fluctuations.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 3348209384098 buyin drop is possible, too, but that doesn't mean that one expects it to happen as a matter of course. I tend to agree that it's far more likely that if you drop 50 buyins at the 20s it's because you're playing mediocre poker rather than because you're a great player with crappy luck.

It's also easy to drop to 11s if you're running poorly at the 22s and still have a decent bankroll. Given that, I don't think you need 50 buyins at all in order to play comfortably at the 22s. If you drop to 15, start playing 11s for a bit and the problem is solved.

EDIT: Also, as far as sounding like an ass goes, this

[ QUOTE ]

No it isnt. I don't mean to be rude, but you have gotten like 300 posts in 2 weeks. I suggest reading more and posting less.

[/ QUOTE ]

sets a pretty antagonistic tone.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:14 AM

Okay besides the obvious thread jack, I will continue this project with a slight modification. I suppose, instead of 65BBs, I will have 100BB to move on to the next level. Except this intial $20 run as I can easily redeposit another $1000 if things get ugly. I did just drop 6 buyins in my first set so..

Anyways, heres a hand I found in my last set that I found a bit interesting.

PartyPoker Speed Tournament, Big Blind is t (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2410)
UTG+1 (t1760)
MP1 (t3000)
MP2 (t1595)
CO (t2670)
Button (t4284)
SB (t2441)
Hero (t1840)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises to t1300</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to t2100</font>

Hero? Easy call?
Old 07-16-2006, 02:19 AM

50 buyins is fine as long as said player is ready to drop down to a lower level if they drop 25 buyins. This is assuming player is a winning player at their current buy in and the one below their current buy in.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to agree that it's far more likely that if you drop 50 buyins at the 20s it's because you're playing mediocre poker rather than because you're a great player with crappy luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it doesn't take great poker to beat the 22's for 18% ROI. I also agree it is more likely due to some leaks than bad luck, but like I said a bad downswing mixed with a little tilt is a recipe for disaster.

[ QUOTE ]
sets a pretty antagonistic tone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah yeah, but that wasn't directed at Mike so he had no reason to be quite so rude.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:20 AM

Converter didn't work properly. What are the blinds?
Old 07-16-2006, 02:24 AM

only way this isnt an easy fold is if the blinds are relatively high.