Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2006, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Time to fix my KK play

This is good.

You are correct - and thanks.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:51 AM

yeah...

Hand G and hand C are pretty bad.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:51 PM

Hand D: If he shows down an ace or 4 here, sorry, but you asked for it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2006, 08:12 PM

Hand B---i think i would play it much the same except for the turn...i would be concerned with a raise behind me indicates that i am behind to a set, so i would not 3bet. I think with KK's in this large a field that anyone left by this time has a strong hand, enough to beat top pair, especially if they raised me and i had been the only one betting to that point--3 betting is only a value raise at that point as continued raising will not protect my holding now...in general i am more concerned with winning a hand rather than building value, and when its unclear i am ahead i tend to call down....one other holding might be a flush draw or A-4 straight draw...so i would hold off until the river--others may think that is conservative--and perhaps they are right

Hand C looks okay to me...the laydown on the river may give rise to comments here, but i think that was good as there are a number of other players still in...with an A on the board, and 4 cards to a straight requiring a 9 ( a card most people will play with a higher card) it is very likely you trail...i would not have called.

Hand D--raise the turn, unless you were trying to induce a bluff on the river--a scare card came, did you plan to call if the ace came off, otherwise raise?

Hand E--its a big field and on the flop you are betting into with a highly co-ordinated board...i doubt than anyone has played T8 and has flopped a straight, but i would suspect that someone in later position will probably bet a pair of nines with an overcard kicker, so i would risk a check-raise here with the hope of thining out the field...if its checked through i bet out on the turn...but otherwise the way you played looks okay to me...

Hand F looks okay to me...perhaps raising on the river others will suggest, but it is possible that you are up against a full house. Calling looks okay

Hand G--i would only call the turn, my thinking being that most likely hand a villian would hold would be an Ace...

Hand H--looks okay

your preflop play is fine it seems with KK's...postflop is where you question your play--the only advise i can give is to consider the number of opponents, position, pot odds and texture of the board in your play (sorry, that's not very directive is it?) You might want to read the articles of Roy Cooke over at Card Player magazine online...

whew...that's a lot, i wonder what everyone else said?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm no pro but i've done a lot of reading and a lot of playing. Regardless of the KK issue am I the only one noticing that his VP$IP is way high?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you are right...seems loose...i believe VPIP ought to be around 20-25% unless he is playing at tables where 7-8 players limp preflop, then he ought to be playing more hands...or, is playing short-tables and has mixed in those stats with his full tables...i believe one of the hands is a 5 or 6 table...
Old 07-15-2006, 05:23 AM

Hand D: If he shows down an ace or 4 here, sorry, but you asked for it.

I did, and he did!
Old 07-15-2006, 05:29 AM

I ususally start playing at the smallest table (people wise) available. When at a full table, my VPIP is around 23-25% - maybe still a little high? Generally though, the higher the stakes (full table) the lower my VPIP seeems to go. .25-.50 is much lower than .05-.10 for example.

Also I play much tighter now than I used to but the overall average takes time to come down.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:38 AM

I think your analysis is very good and thorough. I appreciate you taking the time on this.

I really like the check raise suggestion on hand E.

I think much can be learned from analyzing KK. Some people disagree. It is a decent hand - but vulnerable. I would imagine if someone was looking for help and they preseneted all of their KK hands, you would have a pretty good idea on their level of play. At least a starting point. Are they value betting enough? Are they protecting their hand? Are they playing preflop correct? Are they too weak tight? Unable to ever lay it down etc..

Good stuff!
Old 07-15-2006, 12:26 PM

Don't cap with top pair against unknowns.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:16 PM

bogus

at .1/.2 limit just get a ton of bets in preflop and keep betting postflop until somebody shows you resistance by means of check/raising or leading into you. by then, hopefully the pot will be big enough for you to just call down and show the monster hand you have or had.