Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2006, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Burning Man 2006 - Any 2p2ers going?

You guys are funny. All I can say is I've never met anyone who didn't have an incredible time, if not life-changing experience - no matter how much it was hyped to them beforehand. Just about everyone who goes there winds up with new life-long friendships scattered around the country. There aren't a lot of things you can say that about. Yeah some people pump things up in their minds if they spend a lot of time and money on it. But not everyone, not me. Now I know a lot of people who haven't actually *been* there who think it's retarded...
Old 07-14-2006, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You sound like a pretty uptight guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I don't go to a planned festival in order to have fun?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Because you think less of a person who does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought less of him after meeting him. Burning Man just convinced me that I was right in my first impression of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't there a picture floating around this forum of you "having fun" at a "planned" eating "festival?"
Old 07-14-2006, 09:18 PM

BEP,

Good point. The two are definitely comparable.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BEP,

Good point. The two are definitely comparable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I took the elevator downstairs, walked a block, and ate barbeque. It took 5 minutes to get there and the goal was to eat lots of meat.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:50 PM

I think some of you guys are attaching connotations to Burning Man that aren't neccesarily true. I think calling it a hippie festival isn't fair. Nor is it fair to classify it as something profound or spiritual. I'm an atheist and about as skeptical as they come, and I enjoyed myself immensely.

I went into it last year with no pre-concieved notions. About a week before, a good friend of mine asked me if I wanted to go with him. His other friend backed out and I got a free ticket. I had heard of BM, but had no idea what to expect.

But one of the great things is that you can make whatever you want out if it. If you wanna get drunk and hook up with chicks, you can do that. If you wanna take 3 hits of E and dance till sunrise, you can do that. If you wanna do acid and try and see God in a tortilla, you can do that. If you want to stay at home and judge it via the internet, that's your perogative also.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:58 PM

I'd go in a second if I could. I know I'd love it. It's been a long time, but I would have to trip down memory lane and do it all. It looks like Woodstock meets Road Warrior minus the guns. Have an awesome time and please post a trip report.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:01 PM

The Daver,

I was being sarcastic.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:11 PM

Didn't read all the replies but those pics are incredible. Do you have passage to some alternate universe or something? WTF is that bike and the croquet? I have to go to this next year.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think some of you guys are attaching connotations to Burning Man that aren't neccesarily true. I think calling it a hippie festival isn't fair. Nor is it fair...

[/ QUOTE ]

I called it a 'hippie art festival' because to me that's what it is. I thought my writeup of the history of BM was pretty respectful, and if I were younger and unencumbered by a young family I would love to go.

So, I think if you can't take peoples' comments about Burning Man when you invited comment, you shouldn't have done so, and you illustrate the above comment about the close-mindedness of hippies.