Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2006, 02:18 PM

Default couting your money

Is it ok to count your money while your sitting at the table? Because other players find it rude when i do it at home games, but i find it helps me determine my strategy. They keep telling me that Kenny Rogers is right. I told them they are idiots. Who's right?
Old 07-14-2006, 03:49 PM

Default Re: couting your money

Cash or tournament, you should know how much you have as well as your opponents stacks. Do you see why?

Regards
Carl
Old 07-14-2006, 03:49 PM

Default Re: couNting your money

I think it's fine to count your chips at the table. Stack size is a crucial part of many decisions at a poker table. If you want to irritate your buddies, do it more. If you don't want to be "that guy", count your chips discretely.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:39 PM

Default Re: couNting your money

If you are playing for nickels and dimes and holding up the game stacking coinage I would be annoyed as well. If it is for more than quarters I think you should count them, and preferrably keep them in even stacks of known amounts so you will always know how much you have. Just have a system, and it is easy.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:46 PM

Just to piss them off, keep asking your opponents for a chip count. Do this about every other orbit.

I do think it is very important to always know how much you got at all times.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:43 PM

It is an absulote necessity to know how much you have, and your opponents have. But to make it less obvious, stack your chips in an easy to count manner, even stacks. You shouldnt need to finger through your stack all the time.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:55 PM

I used to think it comical how some people would always re-count their stacks in RING games. I used to think they were very unsure of themselves and playing with scared money. However, I realize now that it can be important, and also is a time saver. I often feel a little embarrased now when going all in and my op asks me how much I have, or how much I have left after a big bet, and then I have to re-count what's left.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:08 PM

There are two reasons why you wouldn't want to count your money at the table:
1. your opponents, if very friendly, will find it rude and hesitate to invite you to future games; or
2. you will end up playing based on how well you are doing (ie results-oriented play).
Old 07-17-2006, 01:50 PM

If you're talking about counting the money/chips you have on the table, I don't think it's rude at all. You could count it in your head if your counting out loud is bothering people.

Now if you're sitting at the table and you pull a wad of bills and count your pocket money like you're some super-rich douche, then you should stop asap.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:57 PM

I find that I am continually stacking and restacking my chips at a live game when I am not in a hand. Since I am playing with my chips, I might as well count them while I am out it. I just wish I had enough room to get creative and build a castle. Damn, I miss playing with Legos.