Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2006, 06:03 AM

Default A real donk call in a live tourney?

Sorry, for the lack of format, but it a was a live tourney so I obviously don't have a hand history to drag up. It's also the first hand I've posted, so go easy.

I'm on button in seat 2, villan is in seat 7, 9 people at the table. I'm short stacked with 900 chips and villan has about 3000. Average is about 2200. Blinds are 50/100
4 limpers around to me, I have AKo. I raise to 300, folds to the villan who raises to 600, fold to me and I call.
Flop comes J,10,8 rainbow. He checks and I check.
Turn - 9. He checks and I check
Flop -7. He bets 800 chips. What should I do? Should I have put him to a decision earlier.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:09 AM

Default Re: A real donk call in a live tourney?

Push preflop when it first comes to you.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:16 AM

Yeah, I thought as much, but as played, should I make the call? From what little I know of the villan, he is well capable of making a move.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:06 AM

As said you need to push it all in to begin with and out him to a decision.

As it is the spot you're in you have to make the call in my opinion. There are very few hands you are beating but with that many chips in the pot, and only 2 rounds of blinds left, you have to try. If you fold and move all in with the remaning 300 chips (or less) you could easily find 3+ callers.....

Call and hope for split!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 07:11 AM

you couldn't have possibly played this hand worse
Old 07-14-2006, 07:13 AM

Should I have tried pushing post-flop too? Hoping that he picked up nothing.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, thanks for that. Any insight into how you would have done it? Push pre-flop, if not post-flop? In this situation, would you make the call?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:14 AM

General rule, if you have less than 10BBs, any hand you wish to play pre-flop should be played A/I. You are making the mistake of thinking AK is a good hand and that you want action. When I raise with AK, I mostly just want to take the pot down right now anyway (I don't even have a pair yet!). If you had AA, I could see you wanting action and making a smaller raise, but I don't advocate that either b/c then people realize you don't push your premium hands when short stacked, just your more marginal ones.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
General rule, if you have less than 10BBs, any hand you wish to play pre-flop should be played A/I. You are making the mistake of thinking AK is a good hand and that you want action. When I raise with AK, I mostly just want to take the pot down right now anyway (I don't even have a pair yet!). If you had AA, I could see you wanting action and making a smaller raise, but I don't advocate that either b/c then people realize you don't push your premium hands when short stacked, just your more marginal ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

With several limpers already limping 100 and you have 900, AK is a super easy push. I would push AA or KK, not slowplay by raising to 300. Jamming here with AA or KK probably gets you a caller most of the time anyway, and if not, the money in the pot is 50% of your stack. Just jam.

Yeah, OP, the posted hand is terrible, but you'll learn. If you weren't gonna jam preflop (you should, it's a very easy decision), you jam the flop. You still have 2 overs and a gutshot even if he calls.

Given that the board is a str8 on the river, and there is about 1000 in the pot and you stand to get 500 of it back if he doesn't have a queen, and you have to call 600 to get it, you need to think there's a greater than 50% chance that he doesn't have a queen. I would call, but there's no way in the world it should have gotten this far.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So true, push PF, at least after you are re-raised. Push the flop. Push the turn. What are you not going to call your last 300 on the river to win >1500? You are committed and can't play anyway w/ only 300.