Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 11:10 PM

Default Re: NL$2 - TP flopped against aggressive player

well, i'm glad this thread sparked up a little debate.

if it adds anything to the discussion over 7 hands villain is 42.86 VPIP, 28.57% PFR, and 1.37 AF. i know its not much of a sample size, but he's new to the table.

mjws, i don't agree with you on some of your points. first off, i agree that there are some people who are outplaying others post-flop and making overbets cause they know donks will call, but there's not many at all. people sophisticated enough to make plays like that are generally playing higher up, in my opinion.

also keep in mind that it was 4-handed at the time. the few other hands that he played i saw him make similarly sized raises. i'm not saying my play here was correct (that's part of the reason i posted it), but i think you are giving this guy a little too much credit. this might be a leak, but when i see people make oversized preflop raises and overbets on the flop multiple times at this level, i'm usually equating it with them being maniacal donkeys, not good LAGs who are overbetting because they know they'll get called.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These overbets get made so that people push into them. It works a LOT at 2NL. You are ahead of QQ-. I doubt his King is worse than yours.

I'm not opposed to popping him preflop if he's aggro. You have position. But realize it failed when he overbets this dramatically. This is a strong lead not just picking off your cbet. Just fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Fold the flop. And don't pay much attention to the cries of "how can you play such small stakes." Some of these NL2 players at 'Stars could crush Party's NL25 game.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
These overbets get made so that people push into them. It works a LOT at 2NL. You are ahead of QQ-. I doubt his King is worse than yours.

I'm not opposed to popping him preflop if he's aggro. You have position. But realize it failed when he overbets this dramatically. This is a strong lead not just picking off your cbet. Just fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Fold the flop. And don't pay much attention to the cries of "how can you play such small stakes." Some of these NL2 players at 'Stars could crush Party's NL25 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

hopefully me.

by the way, if anyones interested in results. i ended up calling (again i'm not sure it was the right play, but everyone makes mistakes right [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) he turned over pocket nines and i took it down.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:29 AM

Glad you won it. I still enjoy messing around at $2NL. I guarantee you'll run into many that are just relaxing and can play. I'll admit it gets hard to take it seriously after a while.

42/28/1.3 isn't aggressive or even super loose at $2. It isn't that far off optimal at 6-max with good hand-reading, imho. Look at your biggest winners they'll all be in that range just a tad tighter than the average table. Decent preflop aggression. 1-2 post-flop as it is VERY hard to keep a high AF that loose. You have to fold more than is optimal when they will often give you odds to call (minbet in a 20BB pot). Callers of overbets and chasers are the main donators.

Understand that the passive game often makes their calling tendencies a very small mistake. We have to bet decent to deny them pot odds and get away when behind to kill implieds.

I love Fisherman sLAG style. Play 50/30/2 ish and you will get very good at hand reading. The marginal spots can teach you a lot about the game. It's all about hand reading.

I promise you'll bump into lots of players happy to stack top pair. Just watch the big stacks towards the end of the night.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Glad you won it. I still enjoy messing around at $2NL. I guarantee you'll run into many that are just relaxing and can play. I'll admit it gets hard to take it seriously after a while.

42/28/1.3 isn't aggressive or even super loose at $2. It isn't that far off optimal at 6-max with good hand-reading, imho. Look at your biggest winners they'll all be in that range just a tad tighter than the average table. Decent preflop aggression. 1-2 post-flop as it is VERY hard to keep a high AF that loose. You have to fold more than is optimal when they will often give you odds to call (minbet in a 20BB pot). Callers of overbets and chasers are the main donators.

Understand that the passive game often makes their calling tendencies a very small mistake. We have to bet decent to deny them pot odds and get away when behind to kill implieds.

I love Fisherman sLAG style. Play 50/30/2 ish and you will get very good at hand reading. The marginal spots can teach you a lot about the game. It's all about hand reading.

I promise you'll bump into lots of players happy to stack top pair. Just watch the big stacks towards the end of the night.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, i appreciate your insights in the thread.