Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: It folds around to a tag villain who raises on the button, sb folds and you defend in the bb with 22
check-fold 0 0%
check-call 0 0%
check-raise-fold 0 0%
check-raise-call 0 0%
check-raise-reraise 0 0%
bet-fold 3 37.50%
bet-call 5 62.50%
bet-threebet-call 0 0%
bet-threebet-fold 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2006, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Best category of 2+2 poker posts

[ QUOTE ]
Scenarios regarding transporting a "large amount of cash" to Vegas

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly this wins. these threads rule.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The first amd second items are cliches that maybe appear on these forums maybe once every 6 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably don't read MTT's much, do you [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2006, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whichever category this post belongs to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, great thread! I especially like this reply.

"steve that is a really good point and i think sometimes we all don't think enough about how much money that is, "many" thousands which is more than a lot less than that. if we spent more time thinking about it, what do you think would happen? a good question for sure. i was in seattle mon-thurs of last week. "
Old 07-13-2006, 10:46 PM

Dude Daniel.No2
Old 07-14-2006, 02:48 AM

This is causing some earnest debate including freeze frame analysis right now over in poker theory.

Forget the patter, these are two good players. Preflop suggests neither player has much. This is heads-up, remember, so even Kx is a good hand.

KGB can't be bluffing here. At a full table, someone seeing the flop probably has high cards, and probably missed this flop. But in heads-up a small blind completing can have almost any hand at all. $2,000 to win $400 has to work almost all the time, and it can't.

He's also not trying to suck Mike in. KGB's $2,000 bet should chase away any drawing thoughts, Mike will call only if he thinks he has the better hand right now. So KGB has to have a hand that has a good chance of winning, even if called. Not 50%, but enough to make it +EV betting $2,000 for a $400 pot.

QT is my best guess. AT would have raised preflop, KT as well. Without top pair, he can't bet the $2,000. With more than top pair he wants to keep Mike in with a so-so hand. But he needs some kicker protection, certainly somthing higher than a 7, to bet $2,000. T8 or T9 is also possible, the kicker is almost as good and he has the possibility of winning big by hitting a gutshot straight.

Mike's call represents a very strong hand. He can't be looking for outs on a straight draw or middle or low pair with those pot odds. But Mike would raise with two pair or a set to stop KGB from drawing out on him. He might call with a top set or straight, these are the only hands that win even if KGB improves. With only $400 in the pot, he's not doggedly calling to keep KGB honest.

So how can KGB bet $4,400 when the 2 shows up? Mike has represented a very strong hand, most likely the straight (there are 16 ways to have 89, only 3 to have TT). KGB could have the straight himself, and hope to take money if Mike has TT, but we know that isn't true because he would have split the pot at the end. If he thinks MIke is bluffing, why does he think Mike checked on the turn? I can't make any sense of this.

Now the Ace on the river. There's no reason to assume it helped him, because he was willing to bet $4,400 without it. If it did help him, why didn't he raise preflop? AT might justify the $2,000 flop bet and give some fig leaf for the all-in at the end, but it leaves the preflop and turn bets unexplained.

I say there is no consistent hand, given two good players heads-up.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:57 AM

My all-time favorite post was Scenario B, where the kid had $1,500 he was taking to Vegas and was seriously asking about whether or not to invest in a money belt. Late in the thread he posted links to his three money-belt options.

Enjoy
Old 07-14-2006, 05:57 AM

tim,

I feel like I kinda fked up the poll now, because "holy cow, can you believe these guys <playing/doing/gambling/winning/losing> at xxx stakes <where xxx = ANY AMOUTNT SUBSTANTIALLY BIGGER THAN POSTER'S STAKES>? wow!" definitely merits a category.

Come to think of it "wow, xxxx <where xxxx = some huge stakes games> is a joke, these guys all suck so bad, i wish i had the bankroll for that, no question i would crush that game, i wish players in my <orders of magnitude lower stakes> game played like that!" also is pretty deserving.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:56 AM

Some newish ones.

That UB 50-100 PLO game is crazy/easy

aba20 destroying (insert well known pro name) 50-100 NL heads up right now
Old 07-14-2006, 10:11 AM

I chose Other and it has to be posts that try to unmask El Diablo.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:31 AM

You forgot tipping!