Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 11:49 PM

Default My first time in this spot

This is from a live 200 max game so sorry for no converter. Blinds are 1/2 and preflop raises have been ranging from 8 to 20. All the locals are used to playing a 100 max 1/2 game therefore they feel they should raise more because of the bigger stacks.

UTG is an aweful player that tries to make reads but isn't good at it. He called my all in on a 7 high flop because he thought I had "big cards" and he had bottom pair. He's put it all in a few times w/ less than anything close to the nuts (i.e. TP3rdKicker).

Button I have as being pretty solid. He's been selective w/ his aggression and all I can say is he's solid.

Hero has a $225 and has both button and UTG covered.
Pre-Flop
UTG limps, 2 limpers to me in the CO I limp 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], MP limps, <font color="red">Button raises to 12 </font> Blinds and limpers all call.

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8handed Pot $96)
UTG leads $10, Folded to Hero, Hero raises to $70, Button goes all in for $153, UTG calls fairly quickly putting him all in. Hero...

I have a good idea on where I went wrong and what I should have done, but I'd like to hear from others. There are a few decisions that can be debated.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:07 AM

Default Re: My first time in this spot

I think you played it fine. Easy call.
UTG has a Q and Button has an AA/KK.
If you lose to A4 or QQ so be it.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:07 AM

easy fold preflop.after a solid player raises 45s is a marginal holding...im calling here, utg might have AQor something like that and button might have kk or AA and nobody would ever suspect you having 4's...the button might have queens but u cant be sure...
Old 07-14-2006, 12:17 AM

I don't mind preflop at all, he has excellent implied odds since everyone else seems to be a retard and with a bunch of people having already called the raise by the action gets back to Hero, there's lots of money in the pot already. Plus, relative position.

Agree that against donks, you have to get AI here. In the event people are actually trying to make reads on you, it's unlikely people put you on a 4 to begin with, since I assume you're playing pretty solidly.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:27 AM

I think PreFlop is an easy easy call w/ all the money in the pot already.

I'm suprised to hear that you guys think this is an easy call on the flop. I put Button on AA/KK/QQ because he knew UTG was a tard and those hands could be ahead of his KQ AQ QJ w/e, but the thing I'm pondering is, he is still pushing after my flop raise which in my mind seemed to show a ton of strength.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:28 PM

bump, I'd like to hear more of what you guys think.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:30 PM

Given the pot odds and reads getting away from this would be brain-dead.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the pot odds and reads getting away from this would be brain-dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would loooove to be in these situations live. Just get it in.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:18 PM

It's these sorts of moments that make poker worth playing even though normally is so boring.

The button is solid, but does he seem to be putting you on a hands, or just playing his own hand?

The button is not scared of a 4 or QQ. What image do you have? Would it be unusual for you to call a big PFR raise with 45? What hand does he think you would have in this situation?

Unless the button can put you on a 4 because of history at the table, then you need to call. If he knows 4 is in your range, then you might think about folding....