Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 08:10 PM

Default Re: What does your football team need to do to improve this offseason?

[ QUOTE ]

A couple points. First Bubba just signed a rather large extension so he isn't going anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Likely Franks is staying put, but the question is what does the team NEED to do to IMPROVE this offseason not what they will do. If the Packers want to improve they need to get rid of Franks. He can't block, catch outside the red zone and there are better, cheaper players to play TE.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, Nall is done as a Packer so he certainly won't be in the mix if Favre retires. Ted Thompson has also said there is no way they send Rodgers to Europe, so that won't happen if Favre does come back.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is Nall done? He'll still be there next year and many people think he'll compete with Rodgers for the starting job if Favre retires. As for if Favre comes back, I don't believe one word Thompson says. He also gave a resounding vote of confidence for Sherman during the season. He also was dumb enough to give him a huge contract extension. (also, this is what the need to do to improve, not what they will do)

Also, if they give Longwell a big contract Thompson should be fired immediately.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:29 PM

Bears-

They have some cap space and Charles Woodson is an unrestricted FA, he would be a nice addition. Also, please find a Offensive Coordinator who will run the ball more than every third play in the playoffs.

OK, now that I'm done dreaming: This is one of the deepest drafts in a long time the Bears should be able to pick up a starting TE (Mercedes Lewis-UCLA, Vernon Davis-Maryland & Leonard Pope-Georgia may all still be on the board)and a #3 CB who can challenge Tillman for the #2 with their first 2 picks.

I think re-signing Hillemeyer & Roberto Garza are musts. Covincing Antwan Randle El to come home to Chicago would be great to add a spark to the return game and mix in as a #2/3 WR with Berrian & Bradley. I would also like to see them bring in a veteran #3 QB and let Jeff Blake retire. Maybe Jeff Garcia or Shane Matthews (cringe).

To OP who likes Tillman, please remember you can pretty much blame Tillman for the Cleveland loss as well, and didn't play well in either game vs. Green Bay. A couple other less than stellar games this season.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:49 PM

Seahawks,

1. Resign Alexander. Enough said. If for some reason the let him walk or more likely, he leaves, trade up in the draft and get Lindell White.
2. Resign or Franchise Hutchinson.
3. If they resign Alexander, draft defense, most likely a DE or OLB.
4. Make sure the team has 3 solid recievers. This could mean resigning Jurvicious or finding another via free agency. Might also look into drafting a WR, maybe even as high as 2nd round.
5. Don't let Ken Hamlin get beat up in Pioneer Square next season.
6. Keep Superbowl rings shined and looking good.

Seriously, this is one of the most complete teams in the league. Only two key players that have a chance to leave ( Alexander and Hutchinson) and Hutchinson will most definetly be back next season whether re-signed or franchised. If they resign Alexander, they can really sure up their D-line and linebackers with the draft and will be preseason favorites in the NFC.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
List of goals for the Redskins this offseason...

1. Bring in a #2 WR that can move the chains on 3rd downs. There are several available but I would like to see the Skins target the following 4: Joe Jurevicius, David Givens, Keenan McCardell, and Jabar Gaffney. Briniging in one of those WRs would certainly help the offense become more efficient and less dependent on Moss.

2. Bring in a DE that can rush the passer. I'd like to see them sign a guy like Kalimba Edwards in free agency or use their first pick (2nd Round) on a DE like Elvis Dumervil or Darryl Tapp.

3. Add some depth to the OL. One injury killed this team's OL. They can't let that happen again next year.

4. Dump Brunell and let Campbell and Ramsey go battle royale for the starting QB job. I refuse to watch any game in which Brunell is the starter. I stopped watching the 2nd half of the Seattle game as soon as I saw his old decrepid ass trotting out to lead the offense. At that point it was done, no way was Brunell gonna lead that offense to 2 TDs, just wasn't possible...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll build on your list.

The Redskins need to build depth on their Oline, and it needs to be veteran help. Ray Brown is retiring (finally) and Raymer better be gone after the debacle in the game last Saturday.

I agree with you about getting a DE early in the draft, since that appears to be one of the deeper positions this year. I would also like to see them bring in a veteran DE and veteran DT, to build some depth on the Dline.

If they don't resign Ryan Clark, then they'll need a SS.

I would like to see them rework LA's deal, which according to the sources I've seen, would save them cap space this year, and that would eliminate the need to get another OLB.

They obviously need a solid, veteran #2 WR, who can punish teams that double cover Moss. This is probably their single biggest weakness, at the moment. I like your list, but part of me really wants them to get TO. I know this will probably never happen, but if they did sign TO and shored up the depth on their Oline, their offense would be pretty much unstoppable.

I think they also need to bring in another CB who can play the nickel, as Walt Harris appears to be close to done.

The Skins will trade Ramsey, so they're going to need to pick up a decent veteran QB, as well.

Finally, won't the Skins get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick for Fred Smoot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why TO? Why not Reggie Wayne? Problem there is these two players will command rather high salaries, and has been noted there is no cap space to work a deal for someone THAT good. The Skins need to find a solid #2 that will work with their cap situation and not take away any of the opportunities of Moss.

The title of the thread is What does your team need to do to improve. That means the Redskins should keep Ramsey and dump Brunell if they want to IMPROVE. Now if the title of the thread was What WILL your team do this offseason then of course I would say the Skins will trade Ramsey to the Dolphins/Raiders/Jets for a 3rd/4th round pick.

As for getting a compensatory pick for Smoot, I wouldn't count on one that high if at all. The whole process is based on losing more UFA than you sign. It also takes into account the player's contract and eventual performance the following year. Since Smoot didn't have a great year, and the Skins big FA signing Rabach seemed to play well, I'm not sure how that situation will work out. It's a pretty complicated formula, which the NFL has never released to the public, and expecting anything out of it is pointless. It's kind of like the Party Promotions, they aren't really worth playing there for the promotions themselves but if you are playing there anyway it's like found money...
Old 01-18-2006, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Likely Franks is staying put, but the question is what does the team NEED to do to IMPROVE this offseason not what they will do. If the Packers want to improve they need to get rid of Franks. He can't block, catch outside the red zone and there are better, cheaper players to play TE.

How is Nall done? He'll still be there next year and many people think he'll compete with Rodgers for the starting job if Favre retires. As for if Favre comes back, I don't believe one word Thompson says. He also gave a resounding vote of confidence for Sherman during the season. He also was dumb enough to give him a huge contract extension. (also, this is what the need to do to improve, not what they will do)

[/ QUOTE ]

They gave Frank a 7 million dollar signing bonus. Eating that money would be a terrible decision. At worst keep him on the roster as a blocking TE to go along with Lee. Because of one injury plagued season he is chicken feed in your view?

Nall is an UFA and is almost certainly gone. If Favre comes back it's a lock he's gone because he doesn't want to be a 3rd stringer, which is what he was this year. If Favre doesn't come back, I'd think the Packers would sign a more experienced vet to be the backup to Rodgers. Rodgers over took Nall on the depth chart in a matter of weeks and is clearly the future QB. Despite what some Packer fans think, Nall will never be the starter in GB.

But back to the topic at hand, the Packers need to make a decision on a number of UFA. I think they should bring back Jackson, Green, Longwell, and Kampman (if he doesn't get a big deal from someone else) and let Craig Nall, Flanny, Davenport, Fisher, Ruegamer, Barry, and Lenon walk.

I'd like to see them upgrade at safety and sign a solid interior lineman but that may not happen. Signing a solid OLB would also be nice, but I'm not sure Thompson wants to spend in FA yet. It's very possible we only sign average to above average free agents, save our cap room, and continue to build through the draft, which isn't such a bad idea in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They gave Frank a 7 million dollar signing bonus. Eating that money would be a terrible decision. At worst keep him on the roster as a blocking TE to go along with Lee. Because of one injury plagued season he is chicken feed in your view?

[/ QUOTE ]
He is a terrible blocker. Why would they consider keeping him as a blocking TE?
It isn't because of one injury plagues season that he needs to go. It's because throughout his career in GB he has been ineffective except in the red zone yet continues to be our #1 TE. Lee would be a better all around, every down TE.

[ QUOTE ]

Nall is an UFA and is almost certainly gone. If Favre comes back it's a lock he's gone because he doesn't want to be a 3rd stringer, which is what he was this year. If Favre doesn't come back, I'd think the Packers would sign a more experienced vet to be the backup to Rodgers. Despite what some Packer fans think, Nall will never be the starter in GB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe there's any reason for the Packers to find two new QBs for next season. Who do you think the Packers can bring in to back up Rodgers? I can't imagaine another team bringing him in to be their starter so why would he leave?

edit: I'd rather have Nall who's worked with our recievers in the past than some bum who's being passed around the league in obscurity.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seahawks,

Seriously, this is one of the most complete teams in the league. Only two key players that have a chance to leave ( Alexander and Hutchinson) and Hutchinson will most definetly be back next season whether re-signed or franchised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaun Alexander, Steve Hutchinson, Joe Jurevicious, Mack Strong & Maurice Morris are all unrestricted FA. Josh Brown is restrcted. I don't know what Seattle's cap situation is, but it looks they have some work to do to stay at the level they were at this season.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cleveland Browns

[/ QUOTE ]

Wohooo!
Chaun and Rueben would be good to have for a few years, i am all good with Roye as well.
Keep bryant, good. If not, do NOT go after Wayne. I don't want another Andre "There's no Turf in cleveland" Rison up here. Number 2 recievers on dome teams with great offenses coming to cold hard hitting towns with a young QB and offensive struggles? Hell No.
I would like to see them improve thier O-line some more. Thier draft should be almost all Defense though. We have no need at tight end, running back, or QB really. If they sign bryant i could see drafting a project reciever late, and if they don't i could see a s econd or third round pick going on one. To compete in the division we need to rebuild our defense otherwise we will get crushed by Pitts running game twice a year, every year.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:34 AM

this post is pretty delusional. bears desperately need a qb if you they want to get anywhere in the playoffs.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:24 AM

We need another reciever I've been impressed with Reggie Brown and he can be an excellent 2nd option but we need someone who can be a good number 1 option maybe we could get someone who has a lot of talent but has character problems like David Boston or Koren Robinson jk. Seriously though I think we need immediate help at WR so i'd like to sign Reggie Wayne if it's somehow possible or maybe Brandon Llyod if he chooses to leave San Fran.

Then with the WR hole filled we should draft Chad Greenway to eventually take over for jones/adams

The dline needs help but hopefully Mike Patterson will step up and fill the hole.

We need a power running back either in the draft or by free agency I don't care but westbrook and moats won't do it.

And lastly we need a good backup qb I understand that without Donovan we are on a lot of trouble but Mcmahon was awful maybe sign kitna garcia flutie just someone decent.