Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Have you even read the Constitution??

I've never read a less convincing "article" in my entire life. I'm on your side and you couldn't even convince me.

First off, you title it a Constitutional argument and the quote the Declaration of Independence. Any sane person would admit that clearly playing Party Poker in your underwear was the last thing on Thomas Jefferson's or the Continental Congress' mind at that time.

Second, control over interstate and international commerce (which encompasses these transactions) actually ARE some of the powers enumerated to Congress, in stark contrast to most of the issues which they take up. No matter how much you or I don't want this to pass, calling it unconstitutional is ridiculous. Have you ever seen the Constitution? Its the one with the Bill of Rights and the Ammendments and all that fun stuff.

Third, throwing in the argument to legalize drugs also because "they don't hurt anyone" will get you nowhere, instantly de-legitimize any argument you have and would probably piss off a lot of people on this site that you would equate playing poker with smoking dope. It may make more sense to frame your argument that online gambling is an entertainment that adults can enjoy responsibly, like drinking, rather than toking cannabis.

Fourth, maybe you should mention the most appealing reason any Congressperson sees for keeping any vice legal - tax revenue. If people can be addicted to something you can tax the hell out of it - i.e. cigarettes.

Finally, you'll have to realize the United States is a representative republic, not a near-anarchistic total democracy where anyone can do whatever the hell they want. This country has a long history of passing laws (that are upheld by the courts time and time again) of enacting laws that essentially protect the people from themselves. Ever heard of Social Security? The government doesn't trust the general populace to save for their own retirement, so they decided they'd take a little bit from us every other week for safe keeping.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but such simplistic and blatantly ignorant arguments really do nothing to help promote our cause and probably do more harm than good.