Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2006, 01:30 PM

Default Texas Senator Responds to Constituent - Re: H.R. 4777

I wrote Texas Senators to voice my opinion on the pending bill. Please find below the disappointing response from
JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator - Texas

Have not heard from Kay Bailey Hutchinson yet.

I agree with other posters that we all need to take the time and trouble to let our representatives know what their constituents want.

Thanks, gamboolman

Response from Senator JOHN CORNYN

Dear Mr. Gamboolman,

Thank you for contacting me about Internet gambling. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As you may know, Representative Bob Goodlatte introduced H.R. 4777 on February 16, 2006. This legislation would prevent financial institutions from paying electronic bank drafts made to organizations involved in gambling across state lines. Current anti-gambling law enforcement tools were developed before the advent of the Internet and online gaming; H.R. 4777 would update the enforcement tools available to investigating authorities. H.R. 4777 was referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary for further consideration.

In other Internet gambling legislation, Senator Jon Kyl proposed an amendment to H.R. 2862 (the Science, State, Justice, Commerce, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act) that would prevent the use of certain payment instruments, credit cards, and fund transfers for unlawful Internet gambling, and for other purposes. However, this amendment to H.R. 2862 was ruled out of order by the chair, and no similar measures have been proposed.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers relevant legislation. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator - Texas

Senators of the 109th Congress

Cornyn, John- (R - TX) Class II
517 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-2934
Web Form: cornyn.senate.gov/contact/index.html

Hutchison, Kay Bailey- (R - TX) Class I
284 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-5922
Web Form: hutchison.senate.gov/e-mail.htm