Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 10:12 AM

Default Going crazy -- Please help

Home poker game 1/2 NL 100 buy-in. I have AK suited raise to 12. This is a typical bet preflop for this game. I get 4 callers, also pretty typical. Flop comes KK7. Great. Checked all around. Turn is a 7. Sweet. Checked all around. River...can't remember. I bet 25 into the around 50 pot. Fold, fold, raise 50 more to me. Now here is where I am going crazy. There is only one hand that can beet me, pockets sevens. I called the 50 and raised 150 more. The other guy quickly pushes I call and he tables his pockets 7's.

My question is should I have just called the 50 dollar raise since the best I could have hoped for is a chopped pot? The only hands he could have raised with are Kx or pocket 7's. The guy had been playing relatively tight all night.

Anyway, any and all comments are appreciated.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Going crazy -- Please help

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, any and all comments are appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it- you play bad. And there were several hands that "beet" you
Old 07-13-2006, 10:29 AM

Why did it get checked around so much? I would of made a bet on the turn, nothing over board -- but a strong bet, to see where I am in the hand. Too many free cards given imo.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:48 AM

(1) It would help to know your position pre-flop. AKs is a better hand preflop b/c of fold equity. If $12 is a standard raise, and you're in early position, I would probably raise it up more (unless it is also standard for players to call any preflop raise amount). [e.g., Is someone more likely to call a preflop raise with a Kx or a medium or better pocket pair? Making a larger than standard preflop raise would likely make Kx fold.]

(2) Again, knowing your position would help here, but I only like a flop check if you're first or second to act.

(3) Since you don't bet the flop or the turn, you miss a chance to gage other players' hands before the betting gets expensive. Chances are that if you bet the turn and get raised, you may just call. On the river, you might have the same sequence, but you might not call a push. Something about someone reraising you twice would indicate no fear of the kings. That would likely give you enough pause for you not to reraise the river.

(4) Don't over use the slow play. Home game players like to call They also expect to be slow-played because it's just one of the few moves a lot of players know. If you had had the best hand, do you really think you were going to make more money by slow playing your hand? When an Ace didn't fall on the turn, you weren't going to make any money on the hand (home game players like to play any Ace and think it's always good when it hits). You might as well bet out and take the pot right there or, if you find resistance, try to figure out what your opponent might be playing.

The slow play is a defense against aggression--a way to punish habitual bullies. You say this guy had been playing tight. You didn't use your play to gain information, and you didn't use the information that you did get.

It seems like you only thought this hand to the first level--what do I have and what can my opponent have? If you had thought to the second level, what does my opponent think I have--you would have realized that (1) unless you bet, you couldn't figure that out and (2) he's not afraid that I have a K, so what could he have? You didn't wonder this till he made his river push...now you see that your betting all the way through left you in the dark.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:50 AM

If you could list the the other hands that beat me you would be a magician. Again, the board was KK77X. I had AK. That is Aces full of sevens. The only hand that can beat that is pocket 7's.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:12 AM

(grunch)

Obviously this is read dependent to a certain extent, but if your 6xBB raise getting 4 callers is TYPICAL, I think you've got to assume you can be up against a range of hands. I mean, it sounds like a game where you could be out against A7, AA, QQ, JJ -- a lot of hands you beat.

I think you're destined to lose the money on this hand and I don't think I would have played it any differently, unfortunately.

Edit: Except that I do agree with the other posts re: free cards...too passive, esp after the turn.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you could list the the other hands that beat me you would be a magician. Again, the board was KK77X. I had AK. That is kings full of sevens. The only hand that can beat that is pocket 7's.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 07-13-2006, 11:23 AM

I was first to act. I do agree in hind sight that betting to gain information would have been a better strategy. Since this guy was playing so tight. I wouldn't think that he would have played 77 for 12 preflop. However, I put him on a strong K (AK or KQ). I guess when I met resistance I should have considered 77. I just thought he was tring to push me off a chop.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:00 PM

BBV?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is only one hand that can beet me

[/ QUOTE ]

bad beet