Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 04:13 PM

Default I don\'t want to destroy him anymore...

I was playing heads up NL and was beating some guy pretty seriously for a while, although he wasn't terrible or anything, just not very good. He reloaded and reloaded, and we kept kind of a trash talk between us, that usualy does not bother me and can actually help me. However, after he lost a few hundred bucks to me, at some point he suddenly stopped calling me "donkey", his tone changed and he asked me if I'll be willing to teach him how to play better. He was very serious about it.

I was giving lessons before, but didn't feel like becoming this guy's teacher, but in any case, the strange thing was that I didn't feel the same way about beating this guy anymore and taking his money. I don't know exactly why, but I felt that the mere fact that he admitted I'm better, and that he is even willing to learn from me, changed something in my attitude toward him and maybe caused me to be a little less aggressive or something, and maybe even play a little softer, out of some kind of "sympathy", as if I don't want to "destroy" him anymore, like I usualy feel and want vs. my opponents when I play heads-up or any kind of game.

Anyone had such an expirience beofore? It somehow bothers me a little.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:47 PM

Default Re: I don\'t want to destroy him anymore...

No, but maybe i'm evil
Old 07-12-2006, 06:15 PM

I'm the same way with strippers.

I'll give 'em a dollar, tell 'em to "Shake it, baby." i'll grin and lear at them, crap like that. But once they sit down with me, have a few drinks, tell me about their alcoholic mother, crackhead brother, etc, I just don't want to pay them to get naked anymore. The thought of it wierds me out.

Once I stop objectifying them and they become a human being in my mind, I can't go back to objectifying them anymore.

I guess it would be the same with on-line poker players. At first, they're just a name you take money from. Once they become a person, you don't want their money.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:42 PM

KILL HIM!! KILL HIM!! NO MERCY!!! ROB HIM BLIND!!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:06 PM

I was playing some guy heads up yesterday.. and I took about 3 buyins off him. Eventually he stopped reloading, begged me for his money back and said it was all he had.

I said sorry then left.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing some guy heads up yesterday.. and I took about 3 buyins off him. Eventually he stopped reloading, begged me for his money back and said it was all he had.

I said sorry then left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2006, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I said sorry then left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad...guy deserved to lose it.... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2006, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I said sorry then left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad...guy deserved to lose it.... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Plus, this is different from OP's story. In the OP's story, the guy actually wanted to learn and get better, not donk off more chips.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:14 AM

One night i was playing 1/2 NL online. There was this huge donkey at the table but h e wasnt being his usual self yet. I bet on the river ( he was not involved in the hand at all) and when I did h told the guy to call me. After the hand I told him to stfu during a hand and he proceeded to curse me out and go on supreme donkey tilt at the same time. He had 600 in front of him and lost it in 4 hands.
Later that night I saw him sittin with about 1300. On the very first hand he stacks me and now has 1500 and is cursing at me. An hour later he apologized as he was down to about 500 (I got most of it.) I tell him hes a [censored] [censored] and a few hands later he donks the rest off to me and I havent seen him since.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:47 AM

I dont have the initial desire to "destroy" my opponents, but I do sometimes feel sympathy for those who lose alot, sometimes.

-J