Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 02:59 PM

Default PP $11...Fun w/99

PartyPoker $11 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t200 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t5017)
UTG+1 (t1042)
MP1 (t4030)
Hero (t2870)
Button (t2943)
SB (t2160)
BB (t1938)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, Hero?

I've got enough to just go with the standard raise. The only really aggressive players at the table (UTG &amp; MP1) have already folded so it makes me want to push it. Thoughts?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Re: PP $11...Fun w/99

notice all stacks behind you are around your size. I like to have it that way when i push. Your stack is healthy enough for a 3bb though.I would probably lean towards standard bet.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:10 PM

I probably push, its pretty inexpoitable and avoids getting into a crappy situation on the flop. Whats your plan if you bet 500 and one of the blinds push? If button pushes?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:12 PM

I'm not down with pushing with 14BB usually, although I guess the blinds have about 10BB...
Old 07-12-2006, 03:14 PM

You have enough for a standard bet, more than 10xBB. More important is that both SB and BB have less than or around 10xBB. If they're going to play, they'll be playing their whole stack most likely. Therefore, it's better IMO to just push all in.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not down with pushing with 14BB usually, although I guess the blinds have about 10BB...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've recently found myself doing it a fair bit. Saves a lot of hassle getting suck with overcard flops with mid pairs and whiffed flops with AK/AQ/AJ. I don't think you loose too much value by doing it either tbh at the lower stakes as people will not give you as much credit for a hand.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have enough for a standard bet, more than 10xBB. More important is that both SB and BB have less than or around 10xBB. If they're going to play, they'll be playing their whole stack most likely. Therefore, it's better IMO to just push all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much sums it up I think and tilted the scale in favor of pushing. This is a great example of why you can't play according to a "formula". Yeah, it's usually the better play to not get into/push fold mode until you get to 10BB, but you can't follow it as a golden rule.

Alot of people (and I was one of them when I first started playing) seem to be looking for a "system" to beat SNG's. I think the people who get to the next level are the ones who look at every situation independently.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much sums it up I think and tilted the scale in favor of pushing. This is a great example of why you can't play according to a "formula". Yeah, it's usually the better play to not get into/push fold mode until you get to 10BB, but you can't follow it as a golden rule.

Alot of people (and I was one of them when I first started playing) seem to be looking for a "system" to beat SNG's. I think the people who get to the next level are the ones who look at every situation independently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you and the poster above. Actually, I think that is part of the 'forumula'... Standard.

I also agree with your 2nd paragraph. That is the hard part.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:36 PM

As others have mentioned, by rasing 3x the bb and getting called, your going to see over card’s over 50% of the time which will make your decision difficult as to how to proceed. I am not taking anything away from “playing poker”, but I believe a shove is your best play here for a couple of reasons I will illustrate.

Firstly, the stacks are similar ahead of you, specifically the button. If these are normal players, they should only be calling you with roughly the ranges of probably 10%,12%,14% (again I don’t know your image or these players) but this is my assumption.

By pushing your nines, under this set of circumstances your gaining roughly 3.4% EV which is huge, considering your by no means a lock to make the money. Even if these guys are looser the ranges I have them on, this is still a +EV push here.

Nice Hand.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:21 PM

t500