Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 02:13 PM

Default Re: \"Post-modernism\"

One thing I hate about postmodern people is they use simple words in big ways to make them sound smart. For instance:

"One of the most significant differences between modernism and postmodernism is the concern for universality or totality. While modernist artists aimed to capture universality or totality in some sense, postmodernists have rejected these ambitions as "metanarratives.""

"Postmodernists tend to emphasize the cultural contingency or relativity of different forms of intellectual production and may be critical of those who attempt "pure," "objective," or "disinterested" intellectual endeavours."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodernism

I have no clue what any of that [censored] means. I understand the words in a vacuum but put them together I'm like WTF?!? Anyone have a link written in non-retarded english?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:14 PM

You just haven't sucessfully deconstructed laundry yet.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:04 PM

Um, if everything is a social construct, and they don't do anything that is a social construct, then what do they do? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2006, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, if everything is a social construct, and they don't do anything that is a social construct, then what do they do? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess they don't think that weed is a social construct
Old 07-12-2006, 04:08 PM

The goal of postmodernism is to confuse people as to what exactly postmodernism is.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Um, if everything is a social construct, and they don't do anything that is a social construct, then what do they do

[/ QUOTE ]
Mostly criticize the people who are doing the hard work that provides these eggheads with their pampered lives. I'm always tempted to pick up a brick and toss it at their head and say, "you don't have to duck, bricks and the scientific claims about them are simply social constructs.. simply think 'marshmallow'. "
Old 07-12-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The goal of postmodernism is to confuse people as to what exactly postmodernism is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please add this into the wiki.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:29 PM

Actually, they are right on that one. Weed is an herbal construct, i believe, that utilizes the method known as "gravitational," (Newtonian construct), "bonging" (engineering construct), or "blunting" (ghettofabulous construct).
Old 07-12-2006, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Postmodernism will rot your brain.

I have friends that refuse to do their laundry, because laundry is a social construct. I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

The most effective counterpoint to this line of reasoning is a punch to the face, preferably a jab - something that won't hurt too much. When they express displeasure at your retort, ask them why, since, after all, your fist is simply a social construct.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:22 PM

I have a feeling that my friend was plagiarizing this description, but he liked to call post-modernism "The Glorification of Confusion".

My personal opinion is that postmodernists are a bunch of people who don't understand existentialism. First, Frenchmen like Derrida and Foucault reduced digestion to deconstruction, then Americans confused destruction for deconstruction.

And if you would like a more concrete explanation, imagine that life is a bunch of Legos. Essentialists are offering those pretty pictorial instruction booklets. Existentialists point out that the Legos are already put together, and the better ones take them apart piece-by-piece so that they can build something else. Post-modernists smash the Legos with a hammer and then wonder why they can't make anything out of the pieces.

Scott