Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 03:06 PM

Default Re: losing your money after being up in a session... Help please.

only use the formuloa that wins, in a cash game you dont have to push anyone around, just make goods hands a right plays.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:14 PM

A couple of points:

i)At that level, variance can be quite severe. Work on your game so you can gradually move up to more stable levels.

ii) as others have pointed out, "loosening up" is not a good idea, and it seems like that may be a part of your problem.

iii) You may lose focus and concentration when you get up a bit; or maybe it's after a certain length of play. Especially when starting out, playing can be very intense and tiring. Maybe setting a relatively shorter time limit to your play (having nothing to do with whether you are up or down) might be helpful, at least until you become more comfortable.

Good luck!

bill c
Old 07-12-2006, 03:14 PM

that's part of the problem, my good hands begin to fail and i lose a bunch of chips
Old 07-12-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if anyone has any experience or ideas about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!! hahaha, I would reccomend keeping a list of the hands that bother you. . . especially when you are having a losing day, and then post the hands here. You will either;

1.) Get reassurance that you made the right play (aside from bad results)
2.) Learn what you did wrong and what a better play might have been.

Don't worry so much on the results of a single sitting, focus more on your play. If you are confident that you made consistenly good plays then all is well. Sure we would ALL love to make money every time we sat down to play, but that is a TOTALLY unreasonable expectation of yourself. Poker is a probability game; sometimes you will win and sometimes you will lose. It is the nature of the beast.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:34 PM

IMHO- I had a similar problem. Keeping records is good, so is understanding varience. For me I think it was learning to play my rush and being a too optimistic about my the relationship between my loosness and my ability. When on rush the table dynamics change and so should your play. However, sometimes after reviewing the session I concluded I really was incredibly unlucky. Learning how to play a rush is important so unless the money is a major factor just be aware of it and stop beating yourself up. It can be a fine line and you may need to invest some money learning what the line is. If people are consitently outdrawing you on the river it may mean that you are actually playing well. In my opinion, tightening up when winning, trying to preserve the win, is a big mistake. Tightening up when loosing may be right though.