Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Why minbet pf oop may not be terrible

So as I've been playing more with PT I've noticed something some of my opp's do that makes PT stats on them harder to read and may actually make the donk minbet play not so bad. If you are OOP and on any hand that you planned on checking you instead minbet then the following happens:

+ anyone who hits check/fold or who folds when misses will fold
+ some people who might have raised HPSB or PSB may take the minbet as a blocking bet
+ anyone who uses PT will see you as having a maniacal PF aggression as many, many checking hands become betting hands, and thus when you get real hands and make 2/3 PSB or PSB you'll get more calls
+ lots of people will think you are a donk
- it costs you a BB when some hands are much better as a c/f

I've noticed this after getting burned by going to war against a couple of opponents who had really high post flop aggression when I had good but not great hands and losing to their great hands and then paying better attention and only then noticing that these type of players were minbetting their "weak"/normal hands and PSBing their strong hands. Sure once someone figures it out they realize tht minbet means weak hand, but no more so then check means weak hand. Throw in some minbet-3bets that are the equivalent of c/r and that isn't necessarily any worse information that you give off.

You can do the same thing in position if the flop or turn or whatever is checked to you but here you have to worry about the check-raise, especially if people in EP can know that you always bet (minbet or real bet) when checked to. So it is much riskier in pos then oop.

What do people think? And do other people notice people who are blindly aggressive (in terms of betting versus checking) but smartly size their bets? And if so, is there anything you do other than make sure to take very good notes on them?
Old 07-12-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Why minbet pf oop may not be terrible

i play 50nl, and usually when i see someone minbet, someone else raises to a real amount, the minbetter was either "inducing" or throwing his money away, it seems like on average it is the latter, and -EV in the long run
Old 07-12-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Why minbet pf oop may not be terrible

I'm personally not a big fan of min raising, for 2 simple reasons. 1 - I use min raising as a tell. I always try to take notice with that 2 cards and in what situation the player will min raise. That way once I start knowing his habits I find ways to counter them and win some more money.
The second reason is that if you min raise me, I'll pretty much always call you cause its just so cheap. I'll you're basically doing with the min raise is making the gamble 1BB more expensive.
The min raise bet can be effective but only against a certain type of opponent. but generally I'm not a big fan of it.
later