Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Place to live in Detroit - Any advice at all?

[ QUOTE ]
If you live in AA, actually live downtown--preferably in Kerrytown or the Old West Side. That gets you away from the students/frat houses, but keeps everything in walking distance. Lake Village/Village Greens/Etc. etc. are worthless. If you are considering living in one of the apartment tracts on the outskirts of Ann Arbor, just move to one of the Detroit suburbs listed above where your money will go further. Only reason to live in AA is if you live in easy walking distance of restauarants/bars/etc., otherwise live somewhere where students don't inflate the housing prices.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. Come to A2. I grew up in Boston, but came here to go to school at U of M. I graduated 2 years ago and I'm still here.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:43 PM

royal oak. Its hip. And close to freeways. And hell I live there.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
royal oak. Its hip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in Southfield in the 60s/70s, and never thought I'd hear "Royal Oak" and "hip" in the same sentence, unless you were talking hip replacements!
Old 07-11-2006, 02:43 AM

farmington hills novi northville are all decent choices
Old 07-12-2006, 01:52 PM

I have lived in the metro Detroit area all my life, and Ann Arbor for 5 years. Right now I live in Troy. I believe it was ranked 4th safest city in the country last year. Livonia was ranked 7th and I believe Farmington Hills was ranked 11th. Inner city Detroit was ranked 2nd most dangerous, next to Camden, NJ.

Here is my 2 cents:
Ann Arbor- tons of culture, bars, restaurants, college students, housing is a bet expensive, good bus system, everything a bit pricy, Deja Vu all nude review 5 minutes in Yspilanti, Cypress Spa in Ann Arbor.

Royal Oak- similiar to Ann Arbor, minus the strip bars, spa, and college students.

Livonia and Troy- very safe, reasonable housing, Livonia near Novi and Farmingon Hills, within 10 minutes of Detroit. Troy about 25 minutes. High Asian and Indian population in Troy.

Places not to live because of crime: Highland Park, Inkster, Hamtramick, Woodward anything south of 8 mile.

Redneck areas: Hazel Park, Taylor, Trenton, Lincoln Park, Redford, Allen Park, Melvindale

High Arabic areas: Dearborn, West Bloomfield, Sterling Heights

-J
Old 07-12-2006, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Livonia and Troy- very safe, reasonable housing, Livonia near Novi and Farmingon Hills, within 10 minutes of Detroit. Troy about 25 minutes. High Asian and Indian population in Troy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is right on the money. My parents have lived in Troy for over 20 years, and they probably know less than 10 white people.